Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 
BettaFishLuver

Question Which Tetra?

I have had neon tetras in the past but one had NTD which spread to the other tetras. Anyways, someone reccomended ember tetras but I have two questions with them, is there such thing as ETD? And they are smaller right? So wouldn't it be more likely that they will fit in my betta's mouth? Would cardinal tetras be better? I don't know, but I really want a small schooling fish to put in my new 10 gallon tank!
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'd ask Bombalurina about embers. :) Harlequin Rasboras are an option too. Same size as tetras and very cool looking!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Here I am! Lol :p

I don't believe there is such a thing as ETD, though I have heard of CTD (not sure if it's just a rumour or not, though).

Embers are smaller than neons, but not nearly small enough to fit into a betta's mouth. I prefer them to neons for their nature, too - they are calmer, less nippy and just all round very chilled fish. It makes them perfect to go with slow-moving guys like bettas. They do really well in planted tanks and look absolutely stunning against the green.

If you want to look at rasboras, I'd suggest Espe rasboras instead of harlequin. They look exactly the same, pretty much, but Espes are smaller and have a slighty smaller mark on them. You also have the option of microrasboras such as borasus briggittae and borasus maculata, although these guys, in my experience, are pretty sensitive. All mine and those of one of my very experienced friend died for no apparent reason.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
BettaFishLuver

AH! So many to choose from! My betta is a plakat so he isn't that slow. :/ he likes to zip around in his current 2 gallon tank which is why I am getting a bigger one. Do you think if my tank is planted very well I could put in a brittlenosed pleco? Or are they too aggressive? I guess I have to do some more research on all the different tetras if I decide to get some! ;D
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

BN plecos aren't really aggressive, but they do have a very heavy bioload and get six inches long, so I wouldn't recommend one in less than 20 gallons. If you fancy a bottom feeder, have a look at cories. :) Pandas and pygmies are especially suited to ten gallons.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I personally like the look of the Green Neon Tetra. They can be sensitive apparently, but so are most smaller species in general.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...imulans&id=489

I also like ember tetras and mosquito rasbora, both of which look great in planted tanks.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote