Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 
jibruno

Question egg question

so my male is a confirmed egg eater, last 4 tries he ate all his eggs.
so this time i removed him after spawning and there are a ton of eggs in the nest, now i theres no vibrations anywhere in the house or room and the sponge filter is not on but eggs continue to fall from the nest, will they still hatch? they should hatch sometime tonight if so but im just curious if this is common or if theres a way to prevent it?

like i said no filter, no vibration, tanks covered for humidity
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Some eggs fall more than others-it can vary based on overall heath of the eggs, fertility, pH, KH/GH, temp, turbidity, how well the male built the nest, amount of his saliva, egg placement-sometimes they will fall more once they start to hatch too-some of the eggs that fall and stay on the bottom will hatch-but its not uncommon for most to get fungus and dissolve regardless if it is bare bottom or if you have substrate.

For what ever reason my males eggs rarely if ever fall from the nest-you can poke, shake, disturb the nest and the eggs don't fall-nor do the fry-I am not sure if this is because of how I condition the breeders, if it is due to deep water spawning, turbidity of the water itself......

What I like to do when I have a known egg eater-is to artificially hatch them in a small bare cup and float the cup in the spawning tank to maintain temp and cover that with plastic veggie wrap for the humidity-this gives me more control and ease of observation-
Since my Bettas generally use a floating live plant to build a nest under-the live plant can help water quality during this time as well and then I will add a small common snail-either pond or ramshorn in about 20-24h-this is so the snail will start to eat any bad eggs-but if you add them too soon and they run out of bad eggs they will start on healthy eggs...so its timing.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
tpocicat

Please keep us posted. I want to know how this turns out.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 
jibruno

well my snail did a good job of cleaning the eggs off the bottom of the tank, i had a few dozen fry hatch this morning though, all still hanging from the nest
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 
tpocicat

I hope they all make it. Best of luck, and pics please.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 
jibruno

well like a new parent, i couldnt resist. im very aware im "counting my chickens before they hatch" but since my male is removed and there is no threat of them being eaten, i decided id try to count my visible fry and reached 100 easily, not counting the hard to see ones, and the few that already ventured off free swimming. this is the spawn of two beautiful bettas and i really hope it yields some beautiful bettas.