Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 
potter

Betta freaking out-2 to 2.5 gallon?

Bought a mini-bow 2.5 gallon for one of my betta. He was originally in a 2 gallon critter keeper. He is now freaking out? Its been 2 days. It is really not that much bigger and I have a fake plant, a cave and a marimo moss ball in there but he is freaking out big time. Is there something wrong with my fish?
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How did you acclimate him to the new chemistry, does it have a filter, are the lights different....any reflection issues.....

I would double check the temp, make a 50% water only change using double dose of the dechlorinator and turn the light off.....and if it has a filter you may want to turn that off for a few days too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 
potter

I float him in his cup for 20 mins and add a little new tank water to his cup, float him for another 10 mins. His new tank water has been aged before I add more Prime to it and temperature is the same at 76. Mini-bow did come with a filter which I have turned off after a day because he was freaking out. Did a partial water change. Lights are different, I didn't use the tank light but his current spot is nearer to the window, not near near but nearer than before and I think it may have affected him. I have posted a video on youtube how he is swimming. Please take a look and let me know if he will be okay. I know some bettas swim like that when they are sick but since I just changed his tank, I am not sure which is which. I honestly think he doesn't like the bigger space and prefers his 2 gallon.

http://youtu.be/9wLt6Q6WzTI

Last edited by potter; 02-26-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #4 
djembekah

i have only had bettas a few weeks, but that seems like normal activity. Swish and Reuban both did that at first.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

0.5of a gallon is really not a lot of extra room. I watched the video and he doesn't look at all stressed to me.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

He doesn't look to be freaking out. However, the tank looks a bit cramped with what you've got in there. Maybe try removing the cave?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 
potter

Thanks! There is quite some space in there. The cave is a temple,the only thing I put in there if he wants to hide. I have fishes upgraded to bigger tanks before and they were more active, but not like Rain. He zooms so fast from top to bottom almost like a spasm sometimes it scares me and he has been doing this for the past 2 days. Maybe he is just a quick moving one.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter View Post
Thanks! There is quite some space in there. The cave is a temple,the only thing I put in there if he wants to hide. I have fishes upgraded to bigger tanks before and they were more active, but not like Rain. He zooms so fast from top to bottom almost like a spasm sometimes it scares me and he has been doing this for the past 2 days. Maybe he is just a quick moving one.
My Spike likes swimming pretty fast too. He gets those random spurts where he just zooms around for a short period. I still occasionally worry a bit about it. But he is super happy and has been acting normal.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #9 
potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
My Spike likes swimming pretty fast too. He gets those random spurts where he just zooms around for a short period. I still occasionally worry a bit about it. But he is super happy and has been acting normal.
I hope he's just happy and that is why he is doing all those zoomies. Will keep a close eye on him. He is skinny so that worries me as well. He doesn't zoom like this in his 2 gallon tank that is for sure. The last time that happened, my previous betta has velvet disease and he didn't make it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

He looks like he is glass surfing......I would give him a couple of more days with the light and filter off and give him time to adapt to the new tank...you might also cover 3 sides of the tank and see if that helps with reflection and glass surfing.....pretty fella...nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote