Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #1 
PhilipPhish

What can I put in a 10 Gal?

Well, my birthday's coming up soon and I'm going to ask my parents to get me a 10 gallon with a light, heater, and filter!

But, what kind of fish can I put in there? Should I just keep a male and a few tetras or little schooling fish. Or should I get More females and put in the tank with a few other little fish?

And, if I do put other little fish in there, what kind would be compatible with each gender of betta?

I also have a 25 gallon that has 2 females and 2 feeder guppies( one of which is pregnant) but other than more females, what kind could I put in there too?

Thanks for letting me know!
~Philip
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I would combine your plans by adding more females to the 25 gallon, and keeping a male with some cories in the ten.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #3 
fishy friend2

In the ten you could easily have
6 boraras Brigitte
6 Pygmy coryordras
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 
PhilipPhish

I was also thinking about buying a freshwater puffer fish. The guy at the pet store said they would eat smaller fish and the female feeder guppy i have is pregnant and will have her kids in the next 1-2 weeks. The guppies breed and spread like the plague so I need to keep a fish-eating fish somewhere in my room.

But along with the females, i might buy a few chinese algae-eaters and golden algae-eaters to help clean the tank and a few snails.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #5 
fishy friend2

first of all
CAE (chinese algae eaters) are commonly mis understood as a good freshwater beginners fish that is very peaceful and passing, eats algae, require small aquariums and stays small. As it matures this fish becomes aggressive, especially toward slow-swimming flat-bodied fish. Should not be kept with fish that remain close to the substrate such as cichlids or catfish. It has frequently been observed grazing mucus from the flanks of other fish. Best kept as a solitary specimen, or a group of 5-6 but only in very large tanks due to the conspecific aggression. Given its habits and eventual size, this is not a fish recommended for the community aquariums.
When young this fish will graze some algae from rocks and wood but it requires more basic prepared foods, frozen bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc. As it matures it eats even less algae.
48 inches is the absolute minimum, preferably larger for a full-grown fish
Can reach up to a foot long but usually stays at around 6-8 inches, still this is a fairly large fish
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #6 
fishy friend2

Regular maintenance and upkeep is important as Dwarf Puffers are messy. Weekly vacuuming of the substrate and removal of all uneaten food should be done as well as cleaning the filter and other equipment. Water changes of 30% per week should suffice to maintain a healthy puffer. These puffers are also highly aggressive and should be kept in a species only tank. Some puffers may tolerate tankmates but not all will. Introducing other species of fish should be done with caution. Aquariums should be heavily planted and provide plenty of visual stimuli, for they become easily bored.
All info gotten from the profiles
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 
PhilipPhish

So a puffer would do well in a 10 gallon by itself?
And what kind of algae eating fish would be good for my 25 gallon community tank?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #8 
fishy friend2

actually, your better off just taking actions to lowering the algae instead of getting a fish to do it, as most fish dont have a primary diet of algae. maybe otos, but they are a bad choice because of there sensitivity they would be a bad choice
and a dwarf puffer should do well, by itself. but do other tankmates, and research ALOT before you buy the fish as they arent very easy to keep
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 
PhilipPhish

Thank you fishy friend! I've decided not to get a puffer fish after I did a bit more research and i've decided to use the 10 gallon as a safe place for my feeder guppies to live in. I'm also thinking about placing an add in the local paper for selling of my guppies once i get a large quantity of them.
thank you all for the help!