Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 
SecretStich

Talking Walmart rescue!

This is one of my newest betta fish. His name is Sharky.
Sharky is a walmart rescue!
he was sitting on the edge of the shelf in blue murky water litterally falling to the bottom from breathing his own dirt. So, i decided i needed to buy him and save him from walmart!
i bought him and after the first few hours, he is only a baby but he is getting around a lot better than he was at walmart.
:)
Attached Images

SecretStich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
Bettabubble3

um walmart?!!!!!!! Hes beautiful
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 
4everaspirit

That's nice what you did for him, but I thought I should tell you that it isn't really a "rescue" because you still bought the fish from the store and they will just use that money to get more fish and mistreat them. If you want better conditions for the fish at walmart, you would need to make it clear to the managers in charge.

As some others have mentioned in other threads, it's like buying from a puppy mill to "save the puppies that are there." In the end, you are still supporting the puppy mill and they will just keep using your money to bring more puppies into the world.

If you really want to "rescue" or adopt a betta, you can sometimes find fish close to where you live at "adopt a pet" websites. I also know that some animal shelters have fish available from people who turned them in or left them at their house, unable to take care of them for whatever reason.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 02-26-2012 at 07:19 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

he is gorgeous
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #5 
mattoboy

Isn't he considered a rescue because you saved his life? Thats how I look at it. BTW Hes beautiful for a wal-mart find :')
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Isn't he considered a rescue because you saved his life? Thats how I look at it. BTW Hes beautiful for a wal-mart find :')
Right, he saved his life, but by purchasing the betta it leads Walmart to buy more of them and keep mistreating them. He may have saved his life, but if he didn't speak up to walmart staff and managers about the poor condition, he has contributed to the buying of more bettas only to be kept in the same such conditions as the one that he just saved was in.

It's called a "sympathy purchase," and other forums and threads explain how this, while it's great that people have compassion and care about the bettas, can do more harm than good if the root of the problem isn't addressed.

It's great, no, wonderful, that he cares but I'm just here to point this fact out, so that he will no for future reference.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 02-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 
lvandert

He's gorgeous! I'm really jealous. And I would consider it a rescue. Walmart fishies sit there, usually sick, until they die. I would love to rescue one myself but every time we go to walmart my boyfriend pulls me away from the fish saying "you dont need another one" lol
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #8 
Karebear13

Wow I can't believe that is a Walmart find! he is so beautiful!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #9 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
He's gorgeous! I'm really jealous. And I would consider it a rescue. Walmart fishies sit there, usually sick, until they die. I would love to rescue one myself but every time we go to walmart my boyfriend pulls me away from the fish saying "you dont need another one" lol
For the third time, it's not a "rescue." :( To walmart, you are simply just buying another fish, then they can make room for more which they will most likely mistreat. You NEED to tell managers if you see poor conditions for the fish. Once again these are, "sympathy purchases," not rescues. I would post a link to other forums explaining this, but I think that's against the rules.

Some people suggest buying the misshapen fish but then exuberantly explaining to managers that you will never, ever come back and buy from this store again if they do not provide better care for their fish. Their argument is, by buying a mistreated fish, plus all the tanks and equipments needed for them, (<----the main profit) the business will listen to you because by buying the supplies for the fish, you are providing their most revenue. While, I can see that working, you'd have to do it right, and keep to your promises of never coming back if the store did not clean up their act.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 02-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #10 
Luimeril

holy crap! from WALMART?! omg! he's amazing! congrats!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fish, walmart