Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
bettamoo

Smile air pump?

hello i just got a betta the other day was just wondering if i should use the air pump or not
bettamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 
jasonh
Banned

your air pump will probably just annoy the betta. they dont really like current in their water. i used to have a biorb [dont get one] and my fish tolerated it.

make sure you have a heater with a thermostat to go with that tank.
if you decide to get a filter, get one that has an adjustable current.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 
bettamoo

he seems to tolerate it it bothers him a little but will it help him in the long run i had some goldfish and they really needed it because they where swiming at the top searching for air and is 70 degree water in the winter i know its not right but is it ok cuz i know they need 72 or more i really cant get a bigger tank or anything now he seems to be doing fine and in the summer i know it should warm up a little pls let me know

Last edited by bettamoo; 02-26-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #4 
jasonh
Banned

i dont think it will help him because bettas enjoy going up for air. they are air breathers.

if you want to spend like 5 bucks you can go on amazon and get a valve that will lower the amount of air that your pump lets through.
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Aquac...303285&sr=1-10
what size is your tank?

also i keep my water temp at 80F
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 
bettamoo

its only a one gallon and its at 70 degrees and its winter now i read a couple places that 70 was ok im not sure theres really nothing i can do anyway so im just hopin the 70 will be ok
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 
bettamoo

and is the air pump totally doing nothing for him cuz if so i should just take it out or maybe leave it in and try to eliminate some of the bubbles

Last edited by bettamoo; 02-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #7 
jasonh
Banned

well try to get your fish a bigger tank in the future. you can really do it on the cheap by buying everything you need separate.

you can get a 5gal aquarium kit on amazon for 39 USD, i'm sure local pet stores have their sales that you can check out as well.

your fish will enjoy having a larger tank and it's fun to decorate and they dont always take up a lot of room.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8 
bettamoo

i know i should upgrade but i really cant right now im just wondering if the pump is doing anything at all and is the 70 degrees ok
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #9 
jasonh
Banned

he can live okay without the air pump. bettas are air breathers.
it can live at 70F but is your water really that warm? do you have a thermometer?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 
bettamoo

well my space heater hasnt been on and now its been on for awhile and the water is now 72 so i guess the water temperture will be ok and the pump i might take out because dont they make bubble nests lol i dont know if you know he will make a bubble nest and what that is please let me know and thanks for the help i feel better now about my fish knowing his water temperture is ok and not to cold one more thing its ok if he dosent have babys right for him to live his hole life buy himself or maybe get another small fish he could live with just something i was wondering to thanks

Last edited by bettamoo; 02-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.