Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 
GreenTea

You know what I miss?

I realized today that I don't see my bettas as pets so much anymore. I used to have several, each in it's own tank, decorated to match it's color and perceived personality, all with names. As I got involved in breeding and aquabid, I sort of ...forgot how much fun it is to have them just as pets. I mean obviously they still are, but caring for them is like an investment and I don't interact with them much anymore. Boys are in divided tanks, girls are all doing their own thing in the sorority... I miss having a betta by my bed to wake up to.

With all this said, I am definitely still interested in breeding and will continue, as it's something I'm passionate about, but I'm also going to remove a few and create little fun spaces with them. First up, a little dt pk I just got going into a triangle tank by my bed. Then, I'll come up with some names :)

Just wanted to share without judgement here, it just feels like my relationship is focused on the results/business side and like I lost some of the fun side! Going to get it back.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 
djembekah

awesome :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #3 
GreenTea

I got a cute little tank set up for this guy and set up all these new silk plants in my divided male tank. Maybe I'll put some photos up of it later. I mean of course they still have decorated tanks and I don't see them as money makers or anything, but it's just like my relationship of fun with them kind of went away. Also all the sick fish and the loss of a whole spawn I had kind of daunted me for awhile. Just about put me off, actually.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

This is kind of why I never did get into breeding bettas.
I love them as pets too much to make a profit off of them.
While I love them all, I make sure I have control over my hobby. 1 75 gallon and 1 5.5
That is as much as I will have. I've got my dog, my kitty and my horsey. I'm satisfied....just need a bit more moola xD
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 
djembekah

that sounds like a big bummer :/ but i can see how a person might lose sight of a relationship with critters they also do business with.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Well for one thing, if I ever make a profit, it will be so slight. I have probably invested a grand or more in shipping, fish, tanks, heater, containers, food, etc. that it's not like I could ever make up for it with a spawn or two. The people who make big profits take immaculate care of their bettas, only use their best stock, and often have show winning fish. I think mine will be lovely, but not that lovely.

I haven't sold any fry yet, in fact the only fish I've sold were for the price I've bought them for to people who want to breed, negating the shipping costs. There's another one for the - side of the equation... not that I mind, I'm just saying, betta breeding isn't a booming business or anything :)
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I've gotten like that lately. I have around 50-60 bettas of various species/ages and sizes and most of my time is spent feeding, doing maintenance, water changes and looking after cultures.

However, after a recent outbreak of ich decimated my new sorority, I spent half of today just fiddling around with their tank (the survivors are all better now thankfully) and watching them and the rest of my fish in the 'fish room'.

I mostly breed wild bettas (well they breed like rabbits) but am going to start getting into breeding splendens. However, I am afraid I am going to get too attached and not be able to sell any!

I am already facing the fact I have 12 fry that will not be leaving me, and now I have a surprise spawn in my grow-out that I am slowly falling in love with.

I definitely am not in this hobby for any potential income. I think unless you have a massive set-up like the farms over in Thailand and open yourself up to the wholesale market, it's not a very profitable business.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 
JBosley

I love having Dragonfly on my nightstand It's why I refuse to have more than 2 Bettas at a time! I spend a lot of time just watching him be a fish, and I love to decorate his tank.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 
djembekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Well for one thing, if I ever make a profit, it will be so slight. I have probably invested a grand or more in shipping, fish, tanks, heater, containers, food, etc. that it's not like I could ever make up for it with a spawn or two. The people who make big profits take immaculate care of their bettas, only use their best stock, and often have show winning fish. I think mine will be lovely, but not that lovely.

I haven't sold any fry yet, in fact the only fish I've sold were for the price I've bought them for to people who want to breed, negating the shipping costs. There's another one for the - side of the equation... not that I mind, I'm just saying, betta breeding isn't a booming business or anything :)

i didn't think it was a huge business, but it looks very time consuming. it seems like you have to love it a lot. its intriguing to me though. i'm new to bettas, so i have only experienced having the as pets. i'm glad you like it though :) also, i see you are a fellow washingtonian!!! i'm actually only an hour or two from you.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #10 
GreenTea

Where you at? I'm from Seattle and travel up there a lot. I'm going to add you, I like to keep a tab on our NW network. There are a lot of us!