Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Question Heater question

Does anyone now if this is a good heater?
http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-Aq...QA/ref=lh_ni_t
Just looking into my options for 2 1.8 gallon aquariums. Previously bought heaters aren't cutting it anymore.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #2 
Geomancer

Honestly, heating 1.8 gallons with a steady temperature will be very difficult. Even a 25W heating is over two times as strong as recommended...

Take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger tank ;)
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Honestly, heating 1.8 gallons with a steady temperature will be very difficult. Even a 25W heating is over two times as strong as recommended...

Take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger tank ;)
I disagree with this, sorry Geomancer! My 1 gallon tank was at a steady 78F, and only dipped at night to 76F. I believe you can heat a smaller tank as long as you are prepared to upgrade if you find you can't. Mine was 78F for the time I used it, for about 4 months.

My 5 gallon does the same thing! 80F and dips to 78F at night. My room is very cold at night, unfortunately.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 
Geomancer

I didn't say impossible, just difficult. A light bulb is enough to affect the temperature of 1.8 gallons.

A steady temperature is very important, and you should strive for +/- 1 degree maximum differential throughout the day.

Even a short power outage is enough to see a significant temperature change in a short period of time.

A 25W is the smallest you'll find, but it's over kill and just hope it dosen't fail on (it happens). That's why on larger aquariums you'll see it advised to use multiple heaters versus one big one (say two 150W instead of one 300W). They do that in case one fails it won't be enough to cook the fish, more so than for even heat distribution (proper placement of the heater is hear the filter in/out so it circulates).
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #5 
Hopeseeker

This is the aquarium that I have, for right now and my fishies love it. Can't have too much bigger where they are at, but eventually want a 5 gallon each w/lid.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29008-Wa...0366985&sr=8-1
The light source is led and doesn't mess with the heat. And for the older fish, the heater kept it at a steady 78 degrees, so I bought the same kind for newer fish and that one absolutely hates me!!!! I have keep switching heaters back and forth after water changes to get new fishie's tank to about 76 degrees. Once there it maintains it, it is just the problem of getting it there after water changes. The water is aged and room temp....once I get new heaters for the aquariums, might use old ones to heat up the water for the changes.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #6 
mathkid

That is a very good heater - I have the 50W version of it. 50W keeps my 5-gallon tank at a constant 79*.

But as others have mentioned, heating 1.8g can be tricky, depending on the room temperature swings, lighting (including daylight!), and your aquarium construction. If you try it, keep a careful eye on the thermometer and see how it goes.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 
ZergyMonster

I have that exact tank, I use a Tetra HT10 heater 2-10 gallon heater. I have yet to have a spike or dip in the temperature. I did take out the filter because my betta was really hating the flow of the falling water. I am thinking about modifying the filter with a plastic bag with scattered holes to spread out the flow.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I have that exact tank, I use a Tetra HT10 heater 2-10 gallon heater. I have yet to have a spike or dip in the temperature. I did take out the filter because my betta was really hating the flow of the falling water. I am thinking about modifying the filter with a plastic bag with scattered holes to spread out the flow.
I made 2 baffles (1 for each) and both fishies are happy!! If I find the thread for how to make baffles, I'll post it!!!

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 02-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 
Hopeseeker

Tried linking it....not working....It's on this website though, under: Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 02-27-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 
Hopeseeker

And I keep them from falling into the tanks by using fishing line and lead-free fishing weights.....it's also how I keep the floating betta log in place, too!