Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1 
cwenger5

Exclamation Whats wrong with my betta?! HELP NEEDED! w.pics

My red female betta seems to be going blind? Im not really sure. I have four female betas in a tank (Filter,heater etc etc) I have had them over a year with no problems they all get along(most of the time) and have never had any health problems with them.

My red beta now is sick and acting VERY strange. Her eyes seem to have a bubble around them. There is a sort of puffy white border around her eyes. She runs into everything and bobs at the top for air. She never eats anymore, even with food right in front of her and she runs into the other fish.

What should I do?! Whats wrong with her?! Help is needed!
The first picture is Olsen when she was healthy and the second is her now that she's sick. (its not very good,i apologize)

cwenger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

She may be aging out.....however, I would go ahead and QT her in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannins if you have some and do a 14 day treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf.....let this steep for 30min and Use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today....

Tomorrow start 50% daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100%...repeat this schedule for 14 days....she needs to stay in the QT and Treatment water for the duration of the treatment....also, cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity...

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.....

How big is the tank and how much how often on the water changes, any live plants, water temp, additives used....

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-27-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 
cwenger5

What is aging out?!
Its a 15gal tank. Heater and filter. I do a 50% change every week and a 100% change every other week. The tank is never dirty. If i get busy and am late changing it by a day or so it goes from bad to a wreck so I really try to stay on top of the changes. Every time its cleaned (100%) i put in a new filter. the temp stays at 75/76. No live plants (i have had horrible luck with them and they always made my water filmy)

Can you dumb down the directions you gave me? I have never had a problem with my girls so the terminology and directions are like a foreign language to me. I will deff.do whatever is needed though. She's not just a fish. She's a part of my family. (I live in a sing dorm room 5 hours from home, so these girls are my friends!)

thank you for your help and patience!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Aging out....getting old...average lifespan is 2-3 years....

Since you have a filter-I wouldn't make any 100% water changes....50% weekly with gravel vacuum should maintain water quality.....some dirt is good....too clean can hinder antibody development

Filter media-give this a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water flow....it should look dirty...this is good bacteria....you don't need to change the sponge out until its falling apart.....

Every time you make the 100% water change you are most likely starting the nitrogen cycle over again and changing out the filter media you may be having some mini cycle or spikes...both can be stressful on the fish.....

What part do you need me to dumb down.....

QT-a small container-if you bought the females in one of the small temporary cups....these work great for QT-be sure to attach it to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink......I use duct tape....

Tannins-either IAL (Indian almond leaf) you usually have to order this on line... or you can use what I like to use....Oak leaf...if you have any Oak trees near by that are pesticide free...collect 18-20 leaves that have naturally dried and fallen from the tree-crush and add to your premixed treatment water
I use 1gal milk jug-rinsed for my premix treatment jug
Epsom salt you can usually get this at most stores that have a pharmacy dept...like walmart.....

Its important to acclimate to the new chemistry with the treatment water...
Place the female in the small cup with some of her tank water-about half full-now add small amount of the premixed treatment water over 10min until full....dump half the water out and re-fill slowly over 10min until full with the treatment water..do this today...tomorrow start the 50%...dump half the water out of the QT and refill with TX water....
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #5 
cwenger5

Thank you OFL! I will work on getting the supplies and keep you updated!
Because I need to order the IAL online can I start today with just the epsom salt? I will deff. quarantine her. The other girls have started trying to chase her and she runs into the walls of the tank like she can't see them... :(

I got her a year ago and she was pretty big. I got her at the pets store. Over the last few months there have been increasing spots of tail rot or loss of color..
What I really am concerned about is, is this contagious?!

I REALLY appreciate the help and tips,thank you so much!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Yes, go ahead and QT and start the Epsom salt

It sounds like it may be age related and as long as you QT her the other fish should be fine, however, I would also recommend that you make a 25-50% water change on the main tank once you get her QT'd....

It is good practice to make a water change anytime you find as sick and/or dead fish in your display tank as a precaution.......
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 
cwenger5

Just got back from the pet store and found Olsen in a much,much worse state. She was laying on her back on the bottom of the tank and would breathe very fast for about a minute and then stop breathing entirely. when she came u for air which was about once every three minutes she would barely make it and then fall like a rock to the bottom. Her eyes were very cloudy and her tail was no longer its beautiful red,it was almost pitch black along with her body

I might be a terrible person for not doing the treatment and everything first but there is no way I could watch her suffer like that so I put her out of her misery. (I laid her in a cup of bleach and it was instant..) it was the only way I could think to do it that would be fast and as little pain as possible. I have no idea if thats how your supposed to do it but I couldn't watch her suffer,I'm sorry.

I really,really hope my other girls do not get sick. They haunt eaten anything today when I offered them food. And I can't tell if one of the other girls (a white one) has a ring around her eyes or I'm just very paranoid right now..

RIP OLSEN.
Thank you for your help. I have all the supplies on hand now