Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
rwilliams5013

new betta i think is dying

Hello everyone, i just bought my betta from walmart my heart really cried out for him. He was the only one in yellowish water and barely any water in it. I thought i was saving his life until today. I noticed he is swimming straight up and down and not as his usual side to side. if i come to the bowl where he is (for now) he goes back to normal and swims side to side and all around the bowl. He will go to the top of the bowl and poke his head out of the water as if he is getting air. I dont know what to do. PLEASE help i thought i was saving a life not taking one
rwilliams5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Bettas breathe atmospheric oxygen, so the air we breathe. Him going up to the surface is normal. that's why bettas can be sold and shipped in tiny bags and cups and also live very well in bowls and tanks without filters and aeration.

Clean the bowl (I'm assuming it's about a gallon) every three days. Change out all of the water and add in new conditioner each time. Also, keep the temperature stable and around 78-80 degrees since bettas are tropical. They can do ok in colder, but it affects long term health.

If he's not lethargic or having trouble staying upright, then I believe he's ok. Most bettas just need time to adjust and get back up to par after they're bought from the store.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 
rwilliams5013

Ok I used the Betta water sold at Walmart I figured it was the same water used for them there...I don't think he looks lethargic it has not been 3 days but when I get home from work tonight I will change his water
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

You can just use regular tap water and any water conditioner that removes chlorine and heavy metals. I use the brand that Walmart sells and have had no issue with it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
rwilliams5013

I just looked at his fins they look severly riped? i have soft plastic rocks in the bowl but im not sure how the fins got so torn? do you think he is in pain and this is why he is not repsonding? Still tonight its as if his body is too heavy to hold up and then when i go towards the bowl he goes to the top. I also noticed bubbles at the top of the tank not like breeding bubbles though? any advice on this?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

He might have bitten his fins.

Keep the water cleaner and you really need to do something for warmth to see drastic improvement in him.

For now, do a 100% change as soon as you can to keep water quality at it's best. He'll need it while he recovers.

Can you get a video or picture of him doing what you describe as off? It'll help out a lot with diagnosis.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #7 
rwilliams5013

For now i just have him in a bowl....that is always what i have done with my Bettas and they seemed to always have done ok...living years with no issues...how do you suggest keeping the water warm with no heater? i will get a picture posted in just a few...last time i took a picture the flash went off im sure this does not help his case...give me a few minutes and i will get one asap! thank you sooooo much for helping i want to help the little guy since this is the reason i bought him...to give him a better chance and get him away from the harm he was in before :(
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

You can try wrapping the tank is a warm blanket. This will help hold in heat, and if the towel is slightly warm when you wrap it around the tank, some of the heat should diffuse into the water. Afterwards, the extra buffer will keep the heat in longer.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 
rwilliams5013

Name:  bob.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  9.2 KB

Name:  bob2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  8.4 KB

Name:  bob3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  8.3 KB

if you look you will note that under his mouth looks swollen and also you will note that his fins and the bubbles? not sure if this is from him??
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #10 
rwilliams5013

also the bowl looks super small in this picture...it is not its actual size.. im not a bad mommy..i swear