Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 
dorymomory

Help diagnosing?

Hello!

I posted a couple weeks ago here about my betta Benvolio. He is still sick, unfortunately, and I cannot figure out what he has or how to treat it. I'm hoping I can get some help diagnosing him.

He has been sick for several weeks, with what I thought at first was something fungal. He had a white fuzzy patch on the side of his face. He was having trouble breathing with his gills, so he was sitting at the top of his bowl with his mouth at the water's surface breathing with his labyrinth instead. I treated him with aquarium salt (per Earthworm's advice in my first thread) and he started acting normally--swimming around again, flaring at me, and making a new bubble nest every time I cleaned out his bowl. His fuzzy patch cleared up, but underneath he had a lot of scale loss and it looked quite bacterial. That's where I'm at now, and I don't really know how to proceed. Should I do aquarium salt again?

Here are some pictures--he's a fast swimmer and my camera is not ideal for this type of photography, so I had issues getting them very clear. Hopefully you can see well enough to get the idea!

^About half of his weird patch looks like the scales are being eaten away, and the other half it looks like some sort of buildup--it's quite the lump, and that part looks brownish as opposed to the overall light grey of the patch. It was hard to capture the lump with a direct picture, but you can see the brown color on the other pictures and here you can see it in silhouette.

It doesn't seem like it is affecting his gills anymore, but I wonder if it is affecting his vision in the eye the patch is next to--he has unusually bad aim eating his food. Other than that his behavior is completely normal.

Some more info:
--he is in a 1 gallon bowl with a small heater that keeps the water at about 79 degrees
--he has a history of fin rot (he's had it several times), but no other sickness besides this one.
--I have had him about a year, and he was fully grown when I got him. I'm not sure exactly how old that makes him.
dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

How long has it been since you stopped the aquarium salt. If it's been a few days, you might want to think about restarting the treatment at 1-2 tsp/gal and 100% daily water changes.

How often do you normally clean his bowl out?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #3 
dorymomory

It has been a few days since I stopped, so I'll start him on aquarium salt again. I do 100% water changes every 3-4 days since he's been sick. Before that it was 100% once a week.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

Alright. While on aquarium salt, do 100% daily.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #5 
dorymomory

Alright, thank you! Any idea what this sickness is? I've been looking through the forum and I'm worried it might be a tumor.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

I'm thinking more along the lines of lymphocytisis. That would explain the growth as well as the hole. There might have been a bit of it that burst.

If you notice the bump is suddenly missing, then do an immediate 100% change and clean everything thoroughly. Lymphocytisis can be infectious once it's burst and free in the water. It's nothing that can be treated for, you just have to let it run its course.