Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, Creature was pretty muched dumped on her with months, years? of neglect, it was really sad :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

yep I found out... her diet was RABBIT pellets, "some" hay... once I got her she had ALL her veggies, guinea pellets, water always topped up never ever empty... On a good note my friend is doing the same and maybe in the next hour will we hear from her about how the appointment with the vet went!! =D

Anyhow, this time I asked the owner of the skinny what his diet is, and I'm making sure to get hay for him since the "he nibbles" and "pellets and veggies" I kind of clued in he needs stuff to chew up I get him today!! My friend offered to get him since she is in edmonton right now.

Anyways....

First picture is the fabric I pulled out. Unfortunately my ipod is terrible for pictures, destroyed this picture carity. There is: 1. supposed to be green, is a light fabric.
Second is bamboo - very very soft!
Next one is black polar fleece.... the bamboo is still softer
The pink one is a fluffy one.. very soft, but only on one side (much like faux fur).
Purple silk is the fifth one.
The last one is a thick plaid.

1. I found boxes that were short - which will be very good for my idea of having ramps leading to little "levels", which aids in exploration. I try to make sure the boxed were never used for raw foods such as seafood and meat.

2. You'll want to fold the box so the fabric can fit around it.

3. It's like wrapping a present - you can choose what method you want to use. Try to stay away from stuff like wood glue. I do show staples, but it is not for this part. I used hot glue, which I will note The guineas cannot get to unless they determine to chew continuously. Which in this time you will want to replace it anyways. You can also try sewing it, but I'm not that good

4. Make as many as you want. I used the softer fabrics... such as the pink "faux fur" and then for the male, the bamboo.

5. If using hot glue, you'll want to keep a good inch or two above the fabric to avoid burning it, or melting it (depending what you use). Never press hard on the outside piece to "make it stick". You want to rub it along the glue line, to make sure it sticks without going through to the other side. This'll keep a clean and soft look on the outside rather than a hard globby mess.

Next post will be on making homemade carefresh bedding :)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 02-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Note: I got a message from my friend. Creature (aka Ginger) had scurvy, but needs to gain more weight (even at being 2.2 pounds, she is big and needs more weight). I'm very happy about that all she needed was TLC and she had that - and now she gets a good home too!!

So, here is the bedding I am making. It's simple, just takes a little extra time and effort than going to a store and paying for it. In the long run, however, it will save money. I'd rather do the work then go over budget :)

1. If you know your newspaper is made with vegetable oil based ink (or something like it), which most newspapers and prints use now because it is "environmentally friendly" and cheaper, then use those. Otherwise stick to white, plain computer paper. If you want to dye your bedding, use food coloring.

2. You'll need a bin, or a bucket. Depending on how much you need. Fill with hot water, then lay in strips of paper. If the water is too hot for your hands, use a spoon to mush it about.

3. You want to tear it up into smaller pieces - you'll see that the fibers are still dry, which is why smaller pieces is better. Some people use blenders... I used my hands.

4. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then proceed to drain the water from the bucket/bin. You might want to use a colander, and something beneath it to catch any escaping pieces of mushy paper. Last thing you need is to clog your drain!! :o

5. Squeeze as much water out of the paper as you can. I made mine into balls, then divided them up afterwards to squeeze more water out.

6. Not sure if you can use the dryer. But I suspect if you could, you'd want to use low heat low tumble dry. The slower you dry it, the softer it will be. So don't microwave it dry!! For my method, I put it on a cookie sheet and into the oven. You can use a cookie rack on a sheet, or let it dry in the sun. Summer time just put it outside and it should dry on it's own.

7. You'll want to turn it now and then, and keep checking on it. It can take up to if not more than 2 hours for this to be completed, by oven. 225 F is what you want, for an even, slow, non-burning heat. If the paper goes crispy, it'll be worse than wood chips and can hurt your critters.

And just in case someone is silly...
Caution! Contents in oven may be hot. Take precautions when turning bedding, and removing from oven.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 02-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 
animallover

Thanks for all the info. Those lucky little guineas :)
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

lol. I finished 4 boxes....2 for each side (male side, female side). The girls get black, pink and purple, and he got green and black. I have the bedding baking right now lol. A small batch, but it's to see how well it works, what I want to change, etc. So far, I want to try different papers, and different ways to dry.

edit: I decided to put it in the oven, and just now took it out. Still a bit damp, but I want it to air dry now, to avoid it from getting crispy on the pan. My next step, is to wait for it to dry, then put it in a pillow case and pound on it (use whatever you want for this method...fist, foot, stick, hammer...) to loosen the fibers amd make it softer.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 02-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

Those guineas are so cute and lucky to have you. I took a care of the one a few years ago when someone had to leave for a few weeks. I was driving my husband crazy though because i keep kissing that guinea all the time , they are so cute :)
You having a fan there lol
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

haha thanks ^.^ After work tonight, I get my skinny piggy!!!!!! Tomorrow my roomie will be gone so probably tomorrow or the day after the room will be converted. okay kay well MOST of the room. My bf won't let me convert the closet into the cuddle room for Honey and her baby >.> Right now, I have a "hay trough" which is quite big. I might divide it in half, or something. Or not. I have a "house" for the skinny piggy, plus starting to make ramps for the levels (the fabric boxes)

I kiss mine all the time pfft no different than any other animal
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was wondering what you were using the boxes for lol. This sounds so adorable :D
When will you know the gender of the baby? :o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #19 
Badjer

Well you should be able to sex the baby right away yes? Be sure to separate it from momma around four weeks if it's a he!

What cuties! And I'm sooo jealous of your skinny. He's absolutely precious.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

So, the bedding has air dried over night, and is generally soft... some people who put it in the oven for 2 hours, tend to have it rock hard! I put it in for an hour constantly turning it over, then removed and let air dry. Next step will be to put it in a bag or pillow case and beat it... making it softer by loosening the fibers

Anyways, when I get the room half set up tomorrow, I will sex the baby. We'll have two pics of day old babies up, and see what he/she seems to lean to. We think it might be a boy :o if so, that is okay! My friend, is offering her sweet, gentle, fluffy boy she got with the prego female, to be the skinny's new buddy.

Oh, the skinny's name is Oliver :3

Today I will be doing:
- More bedding. If I can find more paper!!
- Tunnels: chicken mesh with fabric around it. Double fabric for the bottom! This'll ensure durability, shape, and comfort.
- divider. Gotta keep Honey and her baby away from the males!
Attached Images