Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 
Animalfreak

Exclamation Breeding aggresion!

So I'm currantly trying to breed my vt female to my delta dragonscale male. They both have been conditioned 2weeks, lots of plants, a snail and the water is almost 82 degrees f. The problem I let the female out with the male and she was following the male around the tank for a while. I went to eat supper and the male and female were under the bubble nest both destroying it by fighting each other I tried not to panic by remembering that the will fight sometimes. So I watched, then I started to panic when the female was ripping out the fins of my $14 male. He was like omg what is happening!!!!! Then the female was being drug around by the male cause she had a hold on his tale while he was trying to swim away! When the female went to hide I scooped her out and put her back in the males veiw but behind glass. He was then sitting under the now only 2 bubbles bubble nest wondering what on earth just happened. I am now leaving her in a vase in the tank but I am afraid to leave then alone tonight together and wake up to a dead fish! Please I am at a loss. Please Help! Should I put them together or try again later or what? I just don't want a dead male.
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Some matches just dont work.
But...
Did you place the pair in the tank at the same time?
I prefer to place the female in a glass container inside the spawning tank for up to 2 days and observe their behavior until I know they are ready to spawn.
Some fish have to get used to one another before they are gentle enough with eachother to spawn.
You did good in separating them.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 
Animalfreak

Thank you for agreeing with me about seperating them! I guess I will wait a little longer to put them back for maybe one last try in a few days! And no I did not put them in at the same time she was in the tank for a day and a half.Thank you for responding!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

If you place one of the fish in the tank before the other they will establish territory and become aggressive when another fish is introduced.
It doesn't surprise me that she attack the male if she was there for a couple of days, she felt treatened and wanted him out.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
Animalfreak

I had the male in the tank before the female when she was in the vase in his tank they both flared at each other and she would try to follow him. I don't know what to do I would really like a spawn for the male soo bad. *sigh*
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 
Myates

Watch her, not only behavior but physical signs that she is ready to breed- swollen abdomen, her ov spot will almost be tube-like when she is ready to release eggs.

As mentioned above, some just do not like each other and will not work regardless what you try.
How long did you condition them, and how?

Also, if you want more of the male's attributes, then I would get a female that is delta and/or dragonscale- VTs tend to be dominant trait.

Would also remove the snail until after the fry are free swimming, as they are good at cleaning up the dead eggs, when they run out they will eat the good eggs.

What set up are you currently using?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

Just because u condition them for two week don't always mean there ready.
Some fish take longer time to get ready.
Especial older fish.
Nothing always work with facts.
Sometime u have to read the sign.
Knowing how they will react toward each other is the method I use.
All betta is the same.
U should put special care to all of them, don't matter if pay $1 or $50
$50 is my cap on a betta
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote