Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #1 
lvandert

I accidentally taught my fish a trick LMAO

Ok so my biggest girl Big Red i've had for about a month, and I accidentally taught her to jump out of the water and hit my hand LMAO! She did it this morning and I just started laughing. She has a pesky tank mate (mini feeder goldfish) that likes to eat EVERYTHING. In order to make sure she got food she'd either have to be on the other side of the tank or really fast (she's not that fast). To compromise (for her) I would hold my hand right above the water until she was right under it and drop food. I've been doing this a day MAX, and this morning she decided that she would jump and hit my finger, obviously excited about food, but now I can get her to do it every time! I taught my fish a trick! I'll try to take a video and get it on here later.
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
Karebear13

Just make sure you have a lid or else an accident can occur!

I know I love it when they jump
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 
Luimeril

goldfish and bettas can't really live together. especally not feeder goldies. they get fricken HUGE! like.... over 2 feet, if i'm not mistaking. and they really do best in ponds, or tanks of 100+ gallons. x:

but, i agree with the above poster. make sure your tank has a lid, or you could find Big Red on the floor.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #4 
tpocicat

Not only do feeder goldfish get huge, they are cold water fish. You should put the goldfish in a cold water tank as soon as you possibly can.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
lvandert

Yes the tank has a lid. To be honest I'm not to happy about the goldfish being in their either but my boyfriend wanted to and I didn't argue him. He's just a tiny minnow type and hasn't grown one bit since i got him.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 
ZergyMonster

I have had a goldfish for over 2 years now and he is really starting to out grow her tank, unfortunately I can't get another tank because my mother will not allow it. So I'll be releasing her into a pond with some other goldfish. I used to keep her in a heated tank because I only had one at the time, now that I have a tank devoted to cold water fish she was a lot more lively and grew really fast. You are just stunting your goldfish's growth and potentially causing harm to both your fish if you let them be tank mates for too long.

Gold fish poop like none other and that requires quite a bit of water changes they also need quite a bit of flow in the tank to be happy while your betta would prefer to be in a low flow area. They are just the complete opposite ends of the spectrum as far as fresh water fish go.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #7 
lvandert

I'll let my boyfriend know that his gold fish needs to be moved but to be honest he'll probably just flush it. He got it because it was on sale for like 8 cents. I didn't want to start anything so I kept my mouth shut, that and he lets me buy bettas all willy-nilly who am I to say no?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Awww now I feel sorry for the goldie. Live in warm water or be flushed
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 
lvandert

The little guy seems happy enough in his tank though. lively as heck greeting you at the side. Practically swimming in circles to get you to give him food. Now if he didn't move and wasn't so lively I woulda done something a long time ago.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
ZergyMonster

The goldfish should be in a different tank but to be fair I had mine in a tropical tank for at least 8monthes because again I didn't have a tank for her, she will just be making a mess and you should be cleaning up after her.

Just be careful I had my other fish stress out by how big she got.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote