Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 
catlantic

Question What's ur betta story

How'd did u get introduced and fall in love with bettas?

My first betta was a really awesome red and dark blue male named April(don't ask) He died after 6 months of me having him. I was really sad and decided i never wanted another fish again. Didn't last, a few years later i got my second a light blue male named Elvis who died 3 weeks later from parasites. Now i have Amare a Cambodian(i think?) male who stolen my heart. What about u?
catlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I got into bettas because I was searching the petco site for fish accessories because I had a 20% off coupon. After looking through the site I thought of getting a betta. Then I came here to this site. After gaining a plethora of knowledge, I got a betta and would love to start a sorority and possibly start breeding in the future. They are truly beautiful fish.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
catlantic

Totally agree and there even more beautiful in the tanks of people who know how and want to take care of them. U sound like u really love them. Pics?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 
mattoboy

Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
catlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(
Took me years to convince my parents
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 
BettaHeart

I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 
catlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.
lol Bettas are like potato chips can't have just 1 and can't live without 1
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 
catlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.
Your aquarium and fish sound nice. Pics, name?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #10 
BetterBetta

Well my family has always been a fish-family. One day with my friend Kendall, we decided to eat at Panera Bread. Nextdoor, Petco was calling our names so we went in. I thought about it and wanted to get a betta fish! My mom said yes, so we both got one. I picked out a girl with a beautiful blue hue and red splash on her anal and tail fins. Unfortunately at first I was poorly educated, and had Lulu (female veiltale) in a half gallon case.
Thankfully, I stumbled upon this site the following day and begged my mom to take me to Walmart for a REAL tank. I had Lulu in a 1.5 which was pretty good because she's small. However, I've now placed her in a 10 gal community, and I have Charlie (Red salamander HM) in a 2.5 gallon :D
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote