Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
Aitas

my girls might be guys? :O (names?)

I have a 75l tank with 6 bronze cories and 6 female bettas.. And what I'm noticing is that with two of my girlies their belly fins are growing longer than with the rest... I can tell they're longer, because 4 of the females are actually sisters, but i'm worried that two of them are turning into guys? I'm also not sure about their tail type?
The first one i'm almost sure is a guy, but not completely, that's why i'm asking, but the second one is smaller then the rest though she grew a lot in the past 2 weeks, but her fins still seem kinda long... help? The photos might not be the best ever, but i hope you'll be able to tell!

Btw, they'd also be happy of some names for them, so any btw ideas would be appreciated! :)
Attached Images

Aitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

they don't look like males never seen a male that chubby either lol, check for "eggspots" the white dot on the female's belly and look at my avi, she has some long fins too, and this one (she passed away):

but i don't think there males also they look like viel tails with slight webbing, i like the name "Lola" for the first one and "Cherry" for the second :3
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 
Aitas

wow, never seen females like thatawesome!
well, i think you're right, i can see the white dot on the first one for sure, but on the second one not so sure cuz she won't stay still for a second.. Probably a girl then too! :) well, it wouldn't have been weird for them to be males, since they were really tiny when i got them!

But i love the way they look, so i'm really happy!
they still need names.. ohh i'm so bad at that :P
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 
Aitas

I caught the second one in a transparent plastic box ( they actually all let me do that without a fuss) and no, definitely no white dot on the belly... But she's only 2.5 cm big, she might still get it or..?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

some females are hard to notice (sometimes) how big is her "beard"? a beard is the black area under the gills, and when betta's flare it shows out:
and most males of course make bubble nest, female's rarely make them, bubble nest:

and some one in this forum actually keeps a young male in his/her sorority, so it thinks it's a female :P just keep an eye on them. was the female/male attacking the rest constantly and scaring them away?
and she'll probably grow it (am not sure), am still researching the cycle of a betta but sadly my subject appears to be stunted (under size compare to age)

Last edited by betta lover1507; 02-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 
Aitas

I've only seen her flare once so far and for her size, her beard seemed quite big, but for a difference of my male she never made a bubble nest (so far). Do you think it might be an idea to take her out of the sorority and put her in another tank to see what becomes out of her? :P I have a tank of 30l which is cycled and fully operating, but without habitants so far, so i could put her there?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

if you like, second female dosen't look like a male at all, how long you had the second female? also some egg spots are smaller than other's and hard to notice, especially pale bellied betta's (i have a white female, hard to notice her spot), and another weird thing that the second one dosen't have her beard sticking out maybe if you can get a pic (if possible) i could see what i could do
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #8 
Jrf456

They look like females to me :O Dainty faces. :3
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #9 
Aitas

I have all the females for about a month now, got them together. The second one was the tiniest one of all, still is small though. I also have a yellow female, and i can clearly see the white spot on her, but not on this one. I have it now in a 30l tank since yesterday, i've seen her flare once and today i saw some bubbles on the watersurface which weren't there before, but i don't think i'd call it a bubble nest just yet... might be a start of one, but i don't know..I'm just going to give her some time to decide what she is for me
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
Silverfang

The first one is a female definitely, and even looks eggy!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote