Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #1 
Wolfie305

Setting up tank for goldfish....

So as some of you know from my other thread, I just rescued two Comet Goldfish when my cousin was giving them away as "prizes" at her daughter's birthday party (ugh).

I haven't been able to rehome them and I'm pretty attached to them already....so I decided to keep them (I think this is how the addiction starts LOL).

I went on Craigslist and found a guy selling a 10 gallon tank and a bunch of accessories (decorations, fake plants, food, filter, cover, rocks) for $10. I went and picked it up today. I KNOW 10 gallons isn't big enough for Comets, but they are still babies and I figured this would at least give me a few months to save up for something larger.

I guess my first question would be where do I start? I think someone mentioned that you didn't have to cycle a 10 gallon tank if you didn't want to, is this okay? If it's recommended that I cycle the tank, how should I go about doing it for these guys? No idea how to cycle D:

Also, I assume the filter is a must? I'm probably going to get some crap from my parents because I'm "using electricity," but if I have to use it, I will. What do I need to know? I was given an "Internal Whisper Power Filter" for a 10-30 gallon tank by Tetra.

Sorry if I'm repeating a bunch of things already posted. I just want to do what I can for these little guys!
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I just want to let you know what you are getting into: those little comets will grow to around a foot long and need a 100+ gal tank by the time they are mature. This is going to be about a year maybe a little more. They are much better suited for pond life and will live a longer an happier life as pond fish. Comet goldfish don't make good aquarium pets.

Now, to answer your questions:
A 10 gal tank will only be a suitable home for these guys for about a month. They grow like crazy, produce a ton of waste, and like to have a lot of swimming room. You will be upgrading them almost monthly. You are better off just getting a massive tank to start with or building a pond. I wouldn't have bought the 10 gal and would have gone straight for a huge plastic tub from WalMart (or the like). They come in much larger sizes and will provide them with a more long-term home than a 10 gal tank would. However, it won't be a permanent home.

You will have to cycle the tank. You have no choice with goldfish as the amount of ammonia they produce is significantly larger than a betta. I suggest reading this to get started with your cycle: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

A filter is an absolute must. I recommend the AquaClear 30 as they are going to provide a lot of biological filtration and you can get an ammonia removing insert. Just skip the carbon insert; the ammonia-removing one will be a much greater help. A heater is not needed and not really advisable either. Goldfish will grow faster at higher temperatures. If you can keep the tank around 60F you will only have to feed them every other day.

This is a great goldfish resource: Gold fish Care Sheet This website also has a forum that is filled with very knowledgeable people. They also have a fish vet that frequents the forum. You could also try PM-ing Lupin as he is a very knowledgeable individual. He also frequents that forum.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I have three Shubunkin (biggest is around 6-7 inches) in a standard 3 foot tank and even that seems cramped to me.

They do have a 110 gallon tank I just haven't gotten around to moving downstairs yet, and even then I'd ideally like to have a pond for them to move into.

Aside from all the excellent points TheKoiMaiden has made, comets and other non-fancy goldfish are all very active swimmers. My biggest shubunkin can travel the whole length of their tank in only a few seconds. The three of them love swimming into the current (I run a Fluval 3 and 4 Plus) and spend a lot of time moving around foraging for food.

While it's great you rescued these guys, a lot of the hassle with goldfish is the amount of space needed by even the smaller ones. I can see first-hand the result of stunting on my oldest shubunkin (it's around 4-5 years old now) and it's really not fair on the fish. I don't know how much damage has been done by previous bad care, or how many years have been scrubbed off their lives.

Definitely go as big as you can as soon as you can. We didn't, and it's quite obvious that it was a mistake.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 
Wolfie305

Thanks for the help! I'm definitely looking into a bigger tank and will keep the time frame in mind. There's a slight possibility of me moving in with my boyfriend soon, so I don't want to have to worry about moving a huge tank until I'm settled in.

I've been spending the afternoon researching cycling. It's so confusing to me, but hopefully I'll do okay D: I'll make sure to use the filter. Good to know about those inserts.

Edit: I can't decide if I should do a fishless cycle or a fish-in cycle. I don't want them crammed in this little tank for weeks while the tank cycles... any advice?

Ugh, this is why people should not treat fish like disposable animals and give them away at parties. There is too much preparation involved! D:<

Last edited by Wolfie305; 02-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I'd say doing a fish-in cycle in the ten gallon will be better than them being in their current tank. Either way, you are looking at daily 100% water changes - it may as well be in the tank they have more room to swim in than in the little one.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Even my fancy goldfish are pretty active swimmers considering their chubby bodies. They regularly swim the entire length of the 55 gal. Swimming room is a must with these guys.

I completely agree with Bomba. Doing a fish-in cycle in this case is the best way to go about it. It will give these guys some swimming room and company (goldfish don't like being alone). Once you get the tank cycled you won't have to do a full cycle again in the upgraded tanks because the good bacteria will stick to the filter media. This is why I suggest an AquaClear filter as they have biological media that will easily fit into a larger size filter.

I wish fish weren't treated as disposable, too. I've seen legislation in the UK that is trying to make the giving away of animals (fish or fuzzy) as carnival prizes illegal. I wish something like that could come about in the US.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 02-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 
Wolfie305

Bomba - 100% daily water changes until the tank (10gal) is cycled? Or for as long as I have it?

Koimaiden - I have a question about the filter (I know nothing about filters). I currently have ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...-1-ct/10291764 ). It didn't come with the bag thingy to put inside of it, so I'm not sure what to get. There are things called Bio Bags and also filter cartridges ( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z28eK2aTL.jpg ), but I don't know what one is the right one.. D:

And yeah, that is an awesome law that I wish would come to the US also.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

I am not sure 100% water changes would benefit any cycle, as once an area dries up the bacteria dies. If such large water changes are needed, I would go with 50% twice a day rather than 100% daily.

I so wouldn't want to do 50% twice a day, or 100% once a day. Oh my gosh... I cry when I have to clean my 10g's 100% twice a month LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I imagine filters can be kind of daunting if you've never dealt with them before. That Whisper filter says for "up to 10 gal tanks." With goldfish you want to overfilter, so you want to have something that is rated for a 20-30 gal tank.

These are the aquaclear filters that I'm talking about --> Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen PetSmart I would go with the either the 150/30 model or the 200/50 model. If you go with the 150/30 model you will need to upgrade when you get your next tank.
These are the three inserts you'll want for it.
AquaClear Ammonia Remover Filter Insert PetSmart <-- Ammonia-remover
AquaClear Foam Filter PetSmart <-- Foam pad (mechanical filtration to remove particles)
AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert PetSmart <-- Bio-media (or bio-balls). It provides a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow. This is what you'll want to move between tanks. Also never put it in tap water as the chlorine will kill the good bacteria you worked so hard to get.
These inserts aren't the same for all the models. You should be able to match your filter with the correct-size inserts in the store.

Any other questions about filters?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #10 
Wolfie305

Awesome, great info!

So step 1 (after purchasing new filter)
- Set it up and make it all pretty
- Add the water
- Dechlorinate the water
- Get filter running

Anything else?