Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #111 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm so sorry about Fus . . . :( Like koimaiden said, he was much happier to live his last days in a 10 gallon.

My guppies lie down at night, too. Just chillax-in. :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #112 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No! Fus :( Poor baby :(
My fish sleep too, it's weird if you ask me. She's probably really depressed about her friend, I'm guessing. The mirror is a cool idea, I agree.
I think when your tank is cycled you have to keep nitrates under 40ppm?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #113 
Wolfie305

Ro is still doing good and eating and swimming along.

I got my test kit today, yay!

TAP WATER:
pH = 7.6
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
High Range pH (what is this?) = 7.4

MY TANK:
pH = 7.3
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #114 
thekoimaiden

I'm glad to hear little Ro is doing well. Still baffled as to what killed Fus.

About the tests: there are two pH test, one for the higher range (up to 8) and one for the lower range (down to 6). You just have to figure out which one fits your water better by testing a few times. I have tap water around the same range, and it's kinda difficult to figure out exactly where mine is. I estimate about 7.5 when the pH is showing its about 7.6 and the high range pH is saying about 7.4.

Your tank parameters are looking great! Just keep an eye out for ammonia and nitrite.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #115 
Wolfie305

Everything is still looking good. My boyfriend had an old 10gal aquarium hood with lights that we found the other day. I just replaced the light bulbs. So I picked up some hornwort today :D Now, should I QT this plant? I don't believe there were any fish in his tank, just other plants.

Last edited by Wolfie305; 03-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #116 
Wolfie305

Oh, I also have a question about snails/crabs. I hear all sorts of things about these critters and I'm wondering if they would help my tank at all? (even my betta tank?)

Or would they just contribute to the waste/ammonia while my tank cycles? Do they even get along with goldies?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #117 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Crabs need access to air.. Fiddler crabs are brackish water, hermits are only land crabs.
If you mean shrimp, they are fine for betta, some eat them. Shrimp can clean left over food.. Snails produce a lot of ammonia.
I'm sure there's some shrimp that could live in a Goldie tank, but I don't know if they'd be eaten.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #118 
Wolfie305

I used to hatch brine shrimp all the time in high school as food for our zebra fish - such a neat thing!

And when you say access to air I assume you mean some sort of patch of land for them and not just an airstone? I saw crabs at Walmart last night and they were just in the tanks with the fish - poor guys!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #119 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Those crabs will sadly die slowly ;(
If you like crabs, after you set up a bigger Goldie tank you could set the 10gal up for crabs.
Red claw crabs and fiddler crabs are pretty common. Both need brackish water (half fresh half ocean water). Filling a tank halfway and adding land with rocks or driftwood can look nice. The thing about them is that pet stores usually keep them in fresh water, which slowly kills them, so you may want to wait until they have a new shipment.
Hermit crabs are more popular, and little known is the fact that they need BOTH salt and fresh water, in separate shallow bowls, or they can drown. They are mostly land dwellers.
Crabs are not being bred in captivity, if wild caught bugs you then crabs are not for you.
I love crabbies, if you can't tell and I'd love a set up someday :3
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #120 
thekoimaiden

Great to hear you got some hornwort! I would QT it just in case. You've already lost one goldie, don't want to risk the other. Just set it in a bowl near a window for about a week. This will also give you a chance to look for things that could come with it. I've even heard of people getting baby fish with plants.

Snails and goldies... don't go well together. Mostly because goldfish see them as food. The only snails that I have been able to keep with my goldies were burrowing, nocturnal snails. And even then, a lot still get eaten. So if a few snuck in with your plant, don't worry: they will just become goldie food.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote