Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #121 
Wolfie305

Okay great! Thanks for that information. I'm excited to put it in for them :) That would be kinda neat if I got baby fish with it hahahaha.

And thanks to everyone on the info about crabs/snails. I guess they're not the best thing for my tank haha.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #122 
Wolfie305

I went to feed Ro this morning and noticed she had a small, white string of poop (I assume) come from her anal fin area. I just did some Googling and I'm getting mixed answers.

Some say it's from not being fed enough/not being fed a good food, which could definitely be the case because I've been keeping the feeding to a minimum so the ammonia stays down. She also seems to only be eating the flakes, which is just an Aqueon brand food, instead of the apples pieces I've been dropping in there. She's probably not getting good nutrition. I looked for NLS at PetSmart/PetCo and neither had it D:

Other answers I got were internal parasites :C

Edit: Water quality this morning before water change:
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Ammonia is at 0 now, still adding salt.

I just looked at this article from GAB - http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatm...html#WhitePoop

It's making me feel a little better. The string of poo coming from Ro was no where near as big as the one in the picture. It wasn't even passed her tail. And her food is somewhat light in color.

Last edited by Wolfie305; 03-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #123 
thekoimaiden

I don't think you have much to worry about. The long poop in the GAB photo is what you need to look out for. Sometimes when one of my goldies has been munching on a lot of algae, they will get a longer than average poop, but it is always the same color as their food.

For food: single-tail goldfish aren't as prone to bloat due to bad food as the fancies, so NLS isn't a desperate need. I went looking through the brands of food that can be found at Petsmart and Petco, and I did find something that will be good for your little guy: Omega One goldfish flakes. Omega One is another good brand that doesn't get as much press as NLS. If you can find Omega One flakes or pellets you'll be in pretty good shape.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #124 
Wolfie305

Awesome! I have seen Omega One at PetSmart, so I'll pick some of that up. I was in my room a little while ago and she was pooping again, but this time it was a normal color so that made me feel better.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #125 
thekoimaiden

That's good. She could have just nibbled something odd. Goldfish poop is the color of their food, so when I feed a lot of different things during the week I vacuum up rainbow poops.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #126 
Wolfie305

LOL!! Too funny. I gotta get her some more fruits and veggies. My mom threw out a bunch of stuff we had and now all that's left are apples and tomatoes (are tomatoes okay?)

I just remembered I'm going to be gone for three days (Friday, Saturday, and I'll be back Sunday night). I assume she cannot go three days without a water change right? My parents are usually very good about feeding them if I'm not going to be around, so hopefully one of them will be willing to do water changes... D:
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #127 
thekoimaiden

I don't know about tomatoes. I've never heard anything about them.

As for your vacation, I wouldn't have your parents feed Ro. Feeding contributes to ammonia which means water changes. I think if you can do a change on Friday before you leave and Sunday when you get back you should be fine if you don't feed Ro.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #128 
Wolfie305

Awesome, I like that much better than having them changing the water. There is always a chance something can go wrong if I'm not the one doing it >.<
Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #129 
Fishguy2727

Definitely feed pellets if at all possible. It fills them up better and keeps the tank cleaner.

NLS can be found at Petco and is a better food than Omega One. Omega One is definitely up there with good second options to NLS (Hikari Lionhead, Omega One, etc.) but IME NLS is a much better option.

Just because a fish is hardier to the problems with lower quality foods doesn't make them any better for the fish. Go with the best you can find.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #130 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't goldfish need different food? Not seeing any goldfish NLS on petco :s
If this food comes out much more expensive, I dno if it does, but I think priority 1 should be getting that comet into more than 10 gal. of water, then better food.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote