Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #141 
thekoimaiden

A surprise baby is a good analogy! With all the water changes (diaper changes) and accessories that need to be bought, you might as well have had a baby! Maybe you'll bring you parents around by saying: "It could be worse, this could be a pregnancy!"

A 55 gal should hold you for a while. The water changes will be larger, but they will be more spaced out (probably once a week, but you'll have to test the water and see). And you'll be able to get Ro some nice friends. You'll know it's time to get them out of there when they start to get as long as the tank is wide. From the 55 gal you will either want to think about a 125 gal or a pond.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #142 
Wolfie305

Hahaha yes, exactly xD

Awesome info. I am excited for the 55gal whenever I finally get one. I went into PetSmart tonight and those tanks are bigger than me o.o

Also, Marimo Moss Balls, can I put one in my goldfish tank?! I was just reading up on them here after seeing them at PetSmart (I have seen them before in the betta section, but was too busy looking at the bettas lol). I want to get one for Paarth and one for Ro if it's okay to put in her tank 8D
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #143 
thekoimaiden

Haha! Ya. I have to stand on a stool to reach into my 55 gal without getting my shirt wet. It's not something you want to try to move on your own. Take a sturdy guy friend or two.

Moss balls are great in goldfish tanks! I have two in with my guys, and they love to roll the moss balls around and nibble on them. Plus, it might give little Ro another something to hide behind lol!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #144 
Wolfie305

Oh gosh yeah. I weigh like nothing, I probably couldn't even budge it LOL!

And yay! Sounds adorable. Ro loves to hide :P She did stick around for me today though so I'm hoping she'll come around soon. She was always shy and Fus was always the curious guy.

They're real cheap on ebay and I just ordered one for Paarth there. Gonna go to PetCo tomorrow to see their prices on my way to school (I pass both PetSmart and PetCo so I practically live at those stores now xD).

Also, I got her Omega One goldfish flakes today (no NLS at PetSmart) :D

I get worried for Ro though come feeding time. She doesn't go to the surface for food like Fus did. Instead, she waits until she sees it being tossed around by the filter and eats it towards the bottom. I feel like she's not getting enough that way :( Hopefully she will realize she can get more at the top eventually.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #145 
ZergyMonster

Sooner or later she will realize that you're the one feeding her so don't be to worried that she isn't coming to the surface for food just yet. Once my goldfish figured that out they would always nibble at the surface of the water thinking I was going to feed them when I got near the tank.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #146 
thekoimaiden

Oddly enough, shy fish often come out more when there are more hiding spots. Maybe the marimo will help her be more social!

Goldfish are browsers. They spend most of their day searching for food and eating. That's why they don't have a large stomach. That's why the best way to feed them is a little at a time 3-4 times a day as it best mimics their natural feeding habits and is kindest on their digest system. So don't worry if she doesn't eat all the food at once. As long as there isn't any fouling up the water, then its perfectly fine to let her forage from the bottom. Heck, it's what my goldfish spend all day doing.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #147 
Wolfie305

I swear I'm going to freak if something is happening to Ro.

Woke up this morning and did a water change. Noticed that one of her two tail fins was split partially. The tail is still a healthy white and the only other weird thing I see are two white blobs - one on her dorsal fin and one on her anal fin I think, towards the tip. I wanna say I've seen them before on her, so it could just be her, but she was clamping a lot this morning and lying down. She was eating though.

I still have that fungul stuff I bought and I'm going to pick up some Maracyn Two at PetCo today just to have just in case...
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #148 
thekoimaiden

Do you have any pictures of her? Also I'm sure the GAB would like to hear about this. I think they can offer you more advice than I can. This is really strange...
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #149 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh no! She has to pull through!!

Just a thought, could it be that this was nothing you did? They are comets, probably were badly bred 15'cent fish, maybe not sick but weaker in general?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #150 
Wolfie305

I just made a thread on the GAB with some pictures. She can't die on me too :(