Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #241 
thekoimaiden

Awww!! Your polar bear/puppy is soo cute. I actually have the opposite situation. I got my yellow lab when I was 7 and lost her the year after I went to college (2008). Now I have a black lab. Labs are such great dogs. <3

Actually I remember copperarabian saying that acrylic containers are best for photographing fish because light travels through them better than glass. Copper recommended getting a beanie baby case as they are tall enough, have a lid, and are a thin acrylic. I've been looking for them ever since she recommended him.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #242 
Wolfie305

OMG I have a TON of those!! I can send you one if you want?

And that's funny how closely our stories are with our labs. They are amazing dogs <3
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #243 
Wolfie305

Oh man, I finally measured that tank I got from my friend for free.... it's 55 gallons!!! WHOOOOO! At least I think it is if I measured it right o.O

Length = 48"
Width = 13"
Height = 21"
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #244 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Maisy is a lab/collie/?! mix. xD

Maisy! :D
|
|
|
V
Attached Images

MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #245 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, your lab is gorgeous. All the labs I see around here are chill guys with obesity problems. Yours is so slim!
Did Ro like zuchinni?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #246 
MaisyDawgThirteen

^^
Mine is quite overweight. lol
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #247 
Wolfie305

Olympia - Deezel? Yeah, its all in the food and the amount you give to them. He is on Taste of the Wild, which is a dog food that is very high in protein, which means its quite fattening. I give him a half of a cup twice a day - doesn't seem like a lot, but the high protein will make him feel just as full as if he was on a lesser food, but received more.

Combine that with a decent amount of exercise (he goes on a walk daily, sometimes every other, maybe even less) and he's at a good weight. He was actually getting a little thick for a while because my mom was giving him more food because she though half a cup was mean lol. I think he's slimmed down since then though.

Here is a good full body shot of him

As Ro did like the zucchini! It sank though and she wouldn't go down to eat it, so I'm not sure how much she actually got.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #248 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post

As Ro did like the zucchini! It sank though and she wouldn't go down to eat it, so I'm not sure how much she actually got.
When I give my goldfish veggies, I make sure they don't sink by stringing them to a suction cup on the side wall of the tank. I run a plastic zip tie either through or around the food and the ring on the suction cup. (It is originally for air tubing, so has a ring to put the tubing through.)
If the food is something thick, I will punch the zip tie through it and loosely dangle it. If it is something more loose, like spinach, I will roll it and pull it tight.

I used to do it with fishing line, but found a pack of several hundred food safe mini zip ties on sale for almost nothing and they have made life easier. i usually leave the food in the tank overnight (mine forage like crazy while I am sleeping...) and take out whatever is leftover in the morning. Then I cut the zip tie.

My goldfish don't like zucchini very much, but they devour broccoli. I blanch it and dangle it by the stem... They go crazy picking the little leaves (?) off the top.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #249 
MaisyDawgThirteen

My LPS sells a veggie clip for feeding goldies! :D
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #250 
thekoimaiden

Sorry I went AWOL for a while. My boyfriend's dad was in from Sweden and we spent the weekend with him.

We feed our black lab mix A Taste of the Wild, too, but that is because she has food allergies. We get the venison. She still has that lab energy, so she gets plenty of exercise. Daily 2 mile walks, fetch, and I want to start jogging with her (mostly because I would never go without motivation lol).

That does look like a 55 gallon tank! Congrats!! That should hold little Ro and a friend or two for a while.

I also use a lettuce clip for my goldies. I have the basic clownfish one that you can find at any pet store. I hand feed my guys (and they actually are both males, I found breeding stars on both). That way I don't have to worry about them not getting the food. But I don't think now is a good time to start trying to hand-feed Ro because it take a few days of not eating, and she needs her meds daily.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote