Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #41 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Okay then :D Thanks for that info :) I've been doing the 50% and everything seems to be going good :D I just got a gravel vac for my birthday as well hehe.

Also, I figured I would post some pictures now that I have the time to actually take them hahaha.

Aren't they so cute? Hehe.
Omg they are so cute :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #42 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Random question. Can Koi eat these vegetables as well or only goldfish?
Oh yes. Koi and goldfish are rather closely related and have very similar physiology. I've feed my koi peas and zucchini on multiple occasions. They also seem to get a lot of the old fruit that is in my fridge like strawberries and blackberries. They also love orange slices. Really most fruits and veggies are good for koi. You have to be a little more careful with fancy goldfish tho as some vegetables (like broccoli) can cause gastrointestinal bloat.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #43 
Karebear13

that is cool! I will give my koi some veggies then :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #44 
Wolfie305

So today I experienced the joys of tank cycling first hand... my ammonia SPIKED to 2.0 and now my little orange guy is missing the long fins on his tail :( I feel terrible.

I freaked and changed the water and cleaned the gravel and the water seems to be back to normal, but I'm worried about my orange guy. Did he damage his fins himself from stress from the ammonia, or does he have tail rot? Should I QT him? His fin looks normal except that it's missing the long and beautiful part. It does look a little red towards the base of his body, but his orange colors flow into his tail like that so I could be seeing just the color. I don't see any white anywhere.

The white guy looks perfectly healthy with no signs of any problems.

Advice?

Last edited by Wolfie305; 03-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #45 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I hope you didn't clean the gravel TOO well, because that could also ruin your cycle..
A photo would be nice to see.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #46 
Wolfie305

Nope, just a few spots around the surface because I had just fed them (before noticing his tail). I DID remember the cycle and kinda figured it might kill it, so yay for remembering :D

I also didn't do a full water change, but more than the daily ones I have been doing.

I'll try to get a good photo of him!

Edit: Grrrr, need to charge my battery. Camera is not letting me take a picture till I do.

Last edited by Wolfie305; 03-16-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #47 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Cycling a tank will be hard on both you and the fish, but goldfish are usually hardy enough to stand it. The redness you are seeing on the little orange guy could just be stress. My goldfish will get a pinky tint to their nice long tails when they get stressed. Finrot will look the same as it does with betta and be a little red edge, deteriorating fins, and sometimes blood-red streaks going up the fins. I agree with Olympia; a picture would be great.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #48 
Wolfie305

He looks pretty bad, my poor baby :( I just had to drive my brother down the street and I stopped at the vet supply store and picked up something called "Jungle Fish Health Fungus Eliminator" just in case this is bacterial.. if this isn't a good product just let me know.

Here are the pictures :( Looks like he's missing some scales in one of them...

The little white one seems to be following him everywhere and checking on him.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #49 
Wolfie305

I definitely see some red now with the pictures at the base of his tail. The little splotches all over are his body color, but at the very base there is red.

:C

I'm am amazed at how quickly this happened. He was perfectly fine yesterday morning before I went off to work (had to do an overnight). Then I cam back today and he was like that :C

Last edited by Wolfie305; 03-16-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #50 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ouch, :(
Fungal and bacterial are two different types of diseases.. If this is is fin rot, most fin rot is bacterial.. you may have picked up the wrong med :/ I wouldn't use it just yet though anyways.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote