Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #51 
Wolfie305

On the back it says it clears cotton fungus, red sores, gray skin, dropsy, fin and mouth rot, white film on eyes, red streaks on fins, and swim bladder diseases.

It was all they had for treatment, so I figured I would pick it up while I was there and if it's not the right kind, I could return it or just save it for potential future problems. But yeah, I wanna see what Koimaiden has to say first before using it.

I know, I feel so bad for the guy. Breaking my heart :(
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #52 
thekoimaiden

You might not have an infection. Sometimes streaks on the fins can be caused by poor water quality which often occurs during a cycle. Lets hold off on the medications. If you start to see the tips of the fins deteriorating we can begin to treat with salt. Olympia is right about the meds. Finrot is usually bacterial, so antifungal meds won't do much. See if you can return them.

Woah. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you guys. I guess dinner ran longer than I thought.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #53 
Wolfie305

Ahh thank you for your response! I have to do overnights for work this entire weekend and I can't stop thinking about the little guy. I've been having my dad check on him.

It's not so much streaks as it is the missing tail - that's what is worrying me the most. He had such a beautiful long tail and now it's gone all in a day :(

After changing the water, he seems to look better activity wise. He has been swimming around and he is eating. When I first discovered his tail, it took me a few minutes to find him because he was hiding and he never hides. I thought it he got out of the tank because I couldn't find him for so long D:

What would be the best salt to get so I am prepared?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #54 
thekoimaiden

Just the basic AQ salt (I use the API brand). It is the same stuff we treat betta finrot with. Just make sure you keep up with your water changes. The missing tail is a mystery. Don't worry as it will grow back. It doesn't look like it rotted off. It looks cut or nipped. The edge is rather clean. Is there anything in the tank with a sharp edge? Have you seen any nipping between the two?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #55 
Wolfie305

I looked at him this morning and it looks like his tail is split down the middle and a little frayed now. I'll get a picture tonight. He's still active and eating, but he is still definitely hiding and he was actually laying down under all the plants yesterday. I usually see him swimming around whenever I go into the room, but the last few times he didn't come out until he saw me. Water quality is good.

His tail was white and now since the tail is gone it's like a brown color D: If it was an infection, I would have seen his tail deteriorate slowly, correct? I mean, I just woke up and it was half gone. It does look like a clean cut.

The tank decorations aren't all that sharp - he might have torn it coming out of the hole in one of them? And I haven't seen any nipping or chasing. The little white one seems very attached to the orange one. When the orange one was laying down, the white one hovered next to him.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #56 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Gah :/
Oh that sounds so cute! Koi and goldfish are very smart fish, I know they bond with people, so I'm sure they form relationships with each other too :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #57 
Wolfie305

It was really cute, but almost heartbreaking at the same time :(

And the stuff I mentioned in my last post happened yesterday, I fee like today he is looking more lively. He was swimming about when I came home and very eager to eat.

I'm going to purchase some salt today just to have it for any future problems, but should I add some to the tank or would that not do anything for a torn fin?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #58 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You can, the salt could prevent any infection from setting in. You said his fin looks brown?
I don't remember if you do, but live plants have to be removed since the salt will kill them.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #59 
Wolfie305

I actually checked out some live plants today at PetCo and they didn't have the ones you guys recommended :( I still don't have the light hood anyway, but I could have rigged something up temporarily.

I did grab the salt though (and a new 5.5 tank for my betta baby that was the cheapest I have seen :D ). It won't hurt them to put some in? How much (I assume it will say on the box, but I like to ask as well haha)

I also started getting things for an air stone because I realized something - I don't think my tank is getting enough aggravation in the water, which could have contributed to this ammonia spike. I noticed my filter doesn't make much bubbles/movement because the water level is pretty close. So I grabbed the tubing and some little stones and now I just need the pump. I need one that's super quiet though because my dad hears everything - any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #60 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't know about the pump.. Sorry :/

I think it'd be the same as for betta.. 1tsp/gallon. However since it's nothing, if you feel you should use it anyways, you can cut it to 0.5tsp/gallon.