Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #61 
Wolfie305

Hmmm okays. I'm gonna keep an eye on him for another day or two to give his tail some time to recover (in case it is nothing). It's just the brown that's worrying me and making me think he's got finrot. Probably just paranoid D:
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #62 
Savannah

I know i also won my comet and had him for about 2 years in a ten gallon but I decided he needed a freind but the new fish brougt a desiease and both died.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #63 
Wolfie305

I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Savanna :(
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #64 
thekoimaiden

Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. Gah! I hate errands.

About the salt, since you are seeing jagged edge I would go ahead and add salt at 1 teaspoon (5 mL) per gallon. That will get a concentration of .1% which is what we use to treat bacterial infections. Goldfish can handle salt for a while so go ahead and add it. Just make sure you put an equal amount of salt back in when you take out water.

A bubble stone is a great idea. Goldfish like highly oxygenated water. They will also play in the bubbles. I like the Fusion air pumps as they are really quiet and last a long time. Rena pumps are also pretty good. The pumps are generally pretty silent, but the bubbles coming out of the water do make noise. I use bubble filters in my room, and there is more noise than you would think.

Goldfish and koi are very social creatures. They're not true schooling fish, but they love company and will be visibly sad and stressed if removed from the group. I recently had to separate my goldfish due to some nipping issues, both goldies spent all day swimming at the divider trying to touch each other. My koi are also very social and tend to follow the leaders.

Savannah brings up a great point: always quarantine new goldfish for at least a month to monitor for illness. I'm sorry you lost your goldies; sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way. I also had a brush with ich due to a lack of quarantine. I also hope you now know that a 10 gal is too small to keep a goldfish in for very long. It's best to just divide it and get two bettas. ;)
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #65 
BettaMiah

^ +1

My Goldfish Beau thrives with his Bubbler. I never see him have to go to the surface for air, which is awesome. I highly recommend one!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #66 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I remember I always had to turn mine off when I went to bed at night Dx
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #67 
Wolfie305

Great! I will add the salt first thing in the morning (at work doing an overnight ugh, my luck my poor fishy gets sick this busy weekend). And I will be purchasing an air pump as soon as possible then :)

I asked my little brother to check on him for me and to text me before he goes to bed on his status, so I'm impatiently awaiting that text!

Also, I just contacted some people on Craigslist about a new tank for a steal. It's still not big enough (made an offer for a 20 and a 29 - both came with a bunch of accessories), but it will be better for them until I figure out my moving situation with the boyfriend lol. These both come with stands and hoods too, so maybe I can get some live plants going.

Besides, you can never have enough tanks right? :P Having an extra tank will give me an excuse for more bettas hehe
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #68 
thekoimaiden

I've had weekends like yours. All the fish get sick and ammonia pops up in a tank when the boyfriend and family are in town. We're here for you.

A 29 gal tank will hold you over for a while (another month or two). The larger water volume will also help with the ammonia. A hood with a light is great news, too! Live plants really do make a world of a difference. Plus, you can turn it into a big sorority when you've got a bigger goldfish tank. ;)
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #69 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Man you are going to have A LOT of fish tanks by them time they're grown.
Just getting ready to be a master aquarist? :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #70 
Wolfie305

Koimaiden - I know and you guys have been so awesome so far! Couldn't have done it without you. I've needed a lot of refreshing on fish care these past few weeks! But I am in love with it, I think it's becoming a hobby >_> Hahaha

Olympia - Hahahahaa I know! Paarthurnax's new tank was needed - he's been living in a 1 gallon tank and I know he would benefit from more space! I'll keep his 1 gallon for a hospital tank/holding tank.

I'm pretty good with my self control when it comes to weighing out the money/space/time stuff. I know what and what I can't handle....usually. Of course, unless I find myself rescuing again.....then I can't say no! Lol. My parents aren't too thrilled with the two tanks I have now, so I'll have to wait until I move out until I can really put all the tanks to use!