Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #81 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Haha and the photo in your signature will look like Paarthurnax is yelling at them :)
3 goldies in a bowl.. That will not end well. I agree it's good that you aren't endangering your current ones by trying to save another though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #82 
thekoimaiden

I finally found the picture I have been wanting to share with everyone.

Source. It's from The GAB (goldfish forum) annual photo contest. This isn't even as large as the commons and comets get.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #83 
Wolfie305

OH MY GOD! That is amazing!! How big is that tank?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #84 
thekoimaiden

Looking at the height of the filter intake (Aqauaclear) as compared to its height in my 55 gal it is probably 75 gal or larger. Maybe a 125 gal. It's certainly a lot bigger than my 55 gal.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #85 
Wolfie305

Hmm okay. I've been looking at 40-55gals on Craigslist. My neighbor is also the district manager at PetCo and I asked him when the next $1 a gallon sale was next and he said they do them like every few months and one just happened, so the next should be soonish.

Also, about the food, do you have links to what you were talking about that wouldn't raise the ammonia? Just so I know what to look for. Would fruits and veggies help him at all? I gave them some apple pieces and carrots this morning - he loved the apples!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #86 
Fishguy2727

Any food will bring in nitrate and phosphate, they have to because it is part of fish nutrition (protein and other essentials). A high quality food will keep waste to a minimum and provide a complete and balanced diet. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum.

If the food is good enough you shouldn't need to supplement ANYTHING including fruits and veggies.

There are two things you can control in an aquarium that will completely make the difference between thriving and dying: water quality and food quality. If you feed NLS the food part is taken care of. If you do enough water changes to keep the nitrate under 20ppm the water quality should be taken care of too.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #87 
Wolfie305

I understand having a good quality feed (thank you for that recommendation, by the way), but I thought goldfish benefited from a varied diet that consisted of fruits and veggies along with their main source?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #88 
thekoimaiden

Goldfish do need variety as they are omnivorous. I don't know any experienced goldfish keeper that will not recommend added veggies as this best mimics their natural diet. NLS is a great staple, but it needs to be supplemented especially if one is looking for optimal growth or breeding.

You should be able to find New Life Spectrum goldfish food at Petco. I've seen it there before. They just don't have the right size for my big chubby goldies. Peas are great, easy greens as they all you have to do is peel and pop in the tank (just make sure they don't have any extra sugar or salt added). I would feed fruit sparingly due to the higher sugar content. Think of them more as a treat. Veggies and NLS being their main diet. Broccoli stems are another good food that people sometimes throw out. Why let it go to waste? Feed it to your fish! Just make sure all veggies haven't been marinated or spiced up with anything.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #89 
Wolfie305

Okay, that's what I was thinking. I'll definitely pick up some NLS next time I'm there and continue with the fruits and veggies.

But I have some bad news, the little guy looks like he's going downhill again :( I woke up and couldn't find him for a while. I looked under the log and I could see him laying down. He finally came out after a while so I could see his tail - there is nothing left but tiny little frays (two long ones and the rest are short). I assume the head stuff was just falling off to make room for the new? Not sure if that's true.

But he's not looking good to me. He keeps going to the surface to get some air and he didn't eat his food (which he always does). He'll swim and then kinda let himself sink to the bottom after a while. Sometimes he's at the bottom nose first :(

He has also been clamped a lot. Noticed it a lot yesterday and he's still clamping now.

Should I QT him and treat him with salt? I really want him to make it. I don't know what I'd do if he died :C
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #90 
Wolfie305

He's currently laying down and it looks like he's kinda gasping. The other one swam over him and he kinda looked like a rag doll and was easily turned over. He looks so lifeless :( I don't know what to do.

The air pump I ordered is actually at UPS right now and it's 2 seconds away. I'm thinking about picking it up. Not sure if he's getting enough air...