Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1 
hb1547

Trying to treat my betta's fin rot

When I originally got my betta, he had a bad case of fin rot that I've been trying to treat over the last month or so. I've had little real luck, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help.

Tank:
- Heated, one of those small heaters that shuts off ~78 F.
- About 1 1/4 a gallon, no filter.
- Lately, I've been changing about half of the water a day, and doing a nearly full change every 3 or 4 days.
- Nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate have generally stayed either very low or zero due to the water changes.

I bought a bottle of Bettafix and have been using that lately as well.

Still, it's been about a month and I'm wondering if I'm doing everything right. I know that fin regrowth is a slow process, but his fins still look pretty frayed and black around the edges. I was hoping by now that I'd at least see some sign of new growth. His fins have also become increasingly red, though I'm not sure if that's natural color change or ammonia staining.

He otherwise seems fine, he likes to flare at me and he moves around plenty.

I'm also wondering about the heater -- I was having an issue where my water would get slightly "slimy" after a few days. There would be weird whitish particulate matter (it somewhat reminded me of skin) floating around in the tank. I noticed that the betta was less inclined to eat then as well. I tried the tank without the heater for a week or so and the slime didn't return -- I put the heater back in to see if that is in fact the cause. If it is the heater, how should I handle this?

Am I doing enough? Is there more I can do? I'm happy to keep my regimen of frequent water changes and all, and I don't mind being patient, I just am wondering if I'm treating this the best way I can.
hb1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

If ur adventurous, I did remember reading here that you can treat it "surgically" with hydrogen peroxide...
http://www.bettatalk.com/answer30.htm
frankly Im afraid of killing my fish if i tried... but you might want to try...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
hb1547

I'm hesitant to try that. His fin rot seems to have halted (so much as I can tell), it just hasn't started regrowing.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #4 
cutelittlefishies

For me, keeping the water crystal clear cures every fin problem.

Every time my Betta gets sick i purchase a gallon of spring drinking water. It still has all the minerals and minimal chemicals than regular tap does (even with a conditioner).
I could put him in it even not heated or filtered and he gets better.

If not that then a small filter in your tank could help, also vacuuming the gravel and putting in live plants. Plants help filter the water too!

Usually fin problems are related to water quality.
cutelittlefishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #5 
hb1547

I'm beginning to suspect more and more something with the heater. Ever since I put the heater back in, the betta has been much less active, hanging out a lot more on the bottom except to come up for air. He also seems to clamp his fins back a lot more.