Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #21 
Curlyfatbottom

But did It get sold.
Don't matter what price u put on the fish.
All it matter is it proven or does it breed true.
Anything over 100 for a pair is over price to me
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #22 
MrVampire181

Well let's see to a novice betta keeper/breeder this is a nice fish:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1330709410

To me this fish is not worth $150 PLUS import fees. In fact his fins are not very good and he is an obvious X-factor fish. This fish would make me go broke and ruin my line. This fish is worth $5 if that.

To a novice $150 means it's a good fish and worth buying and breeding.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #23 
MrVampire181

But to get back on track.

How can the OP possibly sell fish to raise money when they can't raise the fish in the first place due to lack of proper equipment?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

It's a shame that a lot of his fish have nice or unusual colouring, but that the quality of the fins and the body just isn't there.

I also think a lot of HMs don't have the substance through the body to carry all that finnage correctly so then they go around looking like they're sinking half the time.

Also, is there some way you could convince your parents to purchase a heater for your fry tank? Constant temperature fluctuations are bad enough to adults, let alone fry.

Do you have another tank you could put Sparta's in so that at least the temperature will be stabilised?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #25 
BeautifulBetta

^+1 Mr.Vampire181.

PS: That AB fish has beautiful colour, but his anal fin is definitely way too long, thats a huge issue for me, that drives me crazy lol. I definitely wouldnt pay that much.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #26 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It's a shame that a lot of his fish have nice or unusual colouring, but that the quality of the fins and the body just isn't there.

I also think a lot of HMs don't have the substance through the body to carry all that finnage correctly so then they go around looking like they're sinking half the time.
Exactly. That's I breed HMPK to HM. The thick body of the HMPK helps them carry fins and the HMPK genes shorten and strengthen the long fins to make them easier to carry.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #27 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
Yes
For the blood sport.
Younger kid buy them since there cheap.
Easier to take care of.
Plus if you can produce a good line.
The male will have a lock price
From 20-50 each for all the male(10-150 male in each batch)
Female usually cull or chop up.
Since most breeder believe the female carry the good gene
They rather kill then sell
Even when people are will to pay top dollor for them
Wow that is terrible! I guess It makes sense to them, but I wouldn't have the heart to purposely kill my fish that I created. If I were them I would probably sell them to nonbreeders if they care that much about selling prize fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Or you can be like Aquastar71 and sell a bad fish for $200 and claim it "rare". >.>
Oh JEEZE! He kills me with that! It's ridiculous how bad his fish's form and overall health can be at times. He isnt a true breeder. A true breeder doesnt breed ONLY for profit. They breed for the enjoyment of the fish and the profit is to share their fish and to be sure they are able to continue. I really dont like his fish all that much to tell you the truth. There is always something wrong with one of them. I've noticed that his fish dont last very long. Especially with all the people I have talked to. Yes he has some good feedback, but his fish aren't cut out for a long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
You have no larger tank like a 20 gallon that could be used for grow out? What if he/she had hundreds of siblings? I've said it before and I'll say it again: you MUST have ALL the proper equipment BEFORE you spawn your fish. Yes spawning and breeding is fun and tempting but without self control and patience this happens.

Trying not to sound rude. But we have all been in this situation before.
MrV, I agree. We all have been in these shoes once before because of the temptations. At least most of us have. It is a lesson that someone has to go through if they are willing to breed with little materials. This is why when a breeder has really learned, they will give the same lecture to another person that might not be too prepared as well. It's the nicest way to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
CFB: as you read i have no money :( there is no way i could got another thing unless my parents think it is urgent and they don't have money to spend really, and they think buying a heater isn't really important right now. and am pretty busy on thinking what to feed sparta next and am worried about his bottom fin, as you can see am in stress (personal things too)
and also i know what you mean, i know i need a heater and stuff. and the tank is around a half a gallon or so. sorry if i sounded rude, i didn't attempt to
Many have suggested to just give what you can for now and since you really dont have materials, you should find you way around it. I cash bottles to get money. I still do it to this day and come u with 20-30 dollars with just three or four bags of cans and bottles that are recycleable. Trust me it works. When being 13 you find your ways. At least I did. It isn't too hard. I have done it for a while and actually bought one of my ten gallon tanks by doing this. It also feels even better because I feel that I have earned it all by myself. Try little things like this. Maybe ask for an allowance or a raise if you have one already. A little work around the house always works. Also if you have a nearby barber shop, see if you can ask them if they need some help sweeping up hair after the days in. That specific one probably wouldn't work too well since you need your working papers, but if you were to possibly know them, it could be a little help in that way as well. I think that is the best I've got.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bettalover2033; 02-29-2012 at 12:37 AM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have to agree with MrV. Having the proper equipment is important if you're going to raise happy, healthy fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #29 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta View Post
^+1 Mr.Vampire181.

PS: That AB fish has beautiful colour, but his anal fin is definitely way too long, thats a huge issue for me, that drives me crazy lol. I definitely wouldnt pay that much.
Not only the fins but the scales show signs of an X-factor fish. Bad genes all around.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #30 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Wow that is terrible! I guess It makes sense to them, but I wouldn't have the heart to purposely kill my fish that I created. If I were them I would probably sell them to nonbreeders if they care that much about selling prize fish.

MrV, I agree. We all have been in these shoes once before because of the temptations. At least most of us have. It is a lesson that someone has to go through if they are willing to breed with little materials. This is why when a breeder has really learned, they will give the same lecture to another person that might not be too prepared as well. It's the nicest way to say it.

Many have suggested to just give what you can for now and since you really dont have materials, you should find you way around it. I cash bottles to get money. I still do it to this day and come u with 20-30 dollars with just three or four bags of cans and bottles that are recycleable. Trust me it works. When being 13 you find your ways. At least I did. It isn't too hard. I have done it for a while and actually bought one of my ten gallon tanks by doing this. It also feels even better because I feel that I have earned it all by myself. Try little things like this. Maybe ask for an allowance or a raise if you have one already. A little work around the house always works. Also if you have a nearby barber shop, see if you can ask them if they need some help sweeping up hair after the days in. That specific one probably wouldn't work too well since you need your working papers, but if you were to possibly know them, it could be a little help in that way as well. I think that is the best I've got.

Good Luck!
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I have to agree with MrV. Having the proper equipment is important if you're going to raise happy, healthy fish.
Thanks DQ! It takes a lot of work to breed and when I posts like I have been seeing (even worse on youtube) it breaks my heart because no one is telling these new breeders what they are doing wrong or what they have not been lectured on. I cannot stress the importance of taking the long route with breeding... that means proper fish, equipment, and food. There is more success and it's worth it.