Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
I'm sorry for your troubles :( I agree, it does get REALLY frustrating when now that you try to do everything right and things go wrong, and before you did everything wrong and things were fine :/

I must say, Duckie's yellow lips are PRICELESS <3
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #12 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Because the rewards of happy, healthy fish are so great. :)

Don't feel it was your fault at all, Styg. I can't see that you did anything wrong in your process. I suspect it may just have been your little Duckie being a bit of a drama queen. "I don't like this tub, bring me a palace!" sort of thing.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #13 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Oh my goodness, now I know why you call him Duckie. LOL!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #14 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
I've been breeding, raising and housing bettas and guppies in plastic tubs for over a year now (easier than glass tanks). I have found some people have issues with it and some don't. It could have been a freak thing that happened. I have never experienced issues with plastic tubs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #15 
styggian
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Oh my goodness, now I know why you call him Duckie. LOL!
I didn't want to, I thought it was silly, but then it just burrowed into my brain and I couldn't get rid of it. I can still see him swimming around from across the room.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 
styggian
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I've been breeding, raising and housing bettas and guppies in plastic tubs for over a year now (easier than glass tanks). I have found some people have issues with it and some don't. It could have been a freak thing that happened. I have never experienced issues with plastic tubs.
Is there a particular brand you use, or store you get them from? Mine were from Walmart. I'd really like to use a plastic tub for fry, since it'd be so easy to sterilise and clean after they're ready to go, but I'm really worried about trying it. It'd be much safer than glass and easier to put away when not needed. I'm still a little paranoid because of then 10gal.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #17 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Is there a particular brand you use, or store you get them from? Mine were from Walmart. I'd really like to use a plastic tub for fry, since it'd be so easy to sterilise and clean after they're ready to go, but I'm really worried about trying it. It'd be much safer than glass and easier to put away when not needed. I'm still a little paranoid because of then 10gal.
I use Sterlite brand. I have two spawn tubs (4 gallon, not recommended for those new to spawning bettas), three 66 quart (16.5 gallon) tubs, one 30 gallon water storage tub and one 22 gallon tub I use for orange guppies, plants, and infusoria growth. I get mine from Walmart or King Soopers (Kroger or whatever it's called).

They are SOO much easier. I use 10 gallons on occasion and I have a 20 gallon and two 30 gallon tanks for grow out.


I think the problem is by using hot water some left over chemicals could have seeped out. I always rinse in hot water first then in cold water several times.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #18 
styggian
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Maybe some time I'll try that out and just use shrimp and snails to test it out, since both are pretty sensitive. My shrimp died before my males did, and I don't feel nearly as bad about losing a few ghost shrimp than losing a betta.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #19 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Maybe some time I'll try that out and just use shrimp and snails to test it out, since both are pretty sensitive. My shrimp died before my males did, and I don't feel nearly as bad about losing a few ghost shrimp than losing a betta.
Sounds good! Hopefully it was just a one time thing.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
i had my orange CT in a plastic storage bin for over a year. my blue CT's living in it now. i had no issues from it.

BUT, i did have two beautiful veils poisoned by one last year. :I it depends on the brand. Zidane, and now King Steve live in a 2 gallon Sterilite bin, which is what's suggested by many.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just killed a fish... Mikper7 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 14 01-20-2011 10:29 PM
Plastic Tubs MrVampire181 Breeding Betta Fish 1 03-07-2010 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.