Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #21 
styggian

I was using sterilite :/ I don't get it. Two killed four of my boys, Duckie was getting sick, and the third new big ear halfmoon I didn't keep in more than about 18 hours before removing him to a 15gal glass tank. Blaaahhhhh.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #22 
freemike

I used sterilite as well. I just washed them out with warm water and a wipe down with paper towels. Then added the same temperature water and treated with prime. Then acclimated the fish and he did well for the 2 days I had him in it.

I think sometimes you just catch a bad break man. So don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe the plastic was contaminated in your particular setup from the factory. You hear over and over that something is safe you can't really fault yourself for trying to do the best you can by them.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #23 
scootshoot

Those yellow lips on Duckie is priceless. Can you get a frontal face pic?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #24 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Those yellow lips on Duckie is priceless. Can you get a frontal face pic?
I can try after work tomorrow :)
Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #25 
Tikibirds

Maybe it was a bad batch of tubs, like something wasn't done right at the factory?
I lost 20 in one shot last month due to an open car window with -30F temps, I know your pain. And some of them I worked really hard to fix them up from walmart's abuse
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #26 
styggian

Duckie just passed away.

#@$!

He was in a tub for a week or so, I thought he was doing better, he was swimming and eating well, though still resting excessively on the bottom. He was bright and responsive and acting fine, and when I checked on the plakat rescue (who's in a different tank), he was gone.

I'm extremely discouraged now, and upset. Every fish that was in a tub is gone now, my gorgeous little fish, because the #@$%Ing tubs poisoned them.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #27 
MrVampire181

That is so weird.... Im sorry youre having so many problems :/
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #28 
Myates

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you lost all those little boys :(
As many others have said.. we've all done something stupid at one point or another.
My most recent was I put too much green tea (hate using it, but works in a pinch) into my favorite boy's tank.. was too acidic. It was a mistake that I should of known better over.. and it still happened. You had no knowledge it would be dangerous, you did all you could do and did what any one of us would do if we ran into the same problem you did.
I know it's hard not to blame ourselves when it's our responsibility to give them the best life we can. But sometimes it's out of our control and all we can do is learn, mourn and keep going. Don't give up hope, you are doing a great job. Look at your other fish who are happy and healthy.. if it wasn't for you, who knows where they would be and how they would be living. So keep up with the great love and care you are giving them..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #29 
styggian

Thank you Myates. It's upsetting that I thought he had recovered, he even ate last night when I fed everyone. There was no sign that he was going to pass, but he was laying in the gravel not breathing. I wish I could understand why these same tubs work for other people, but not for me. I cleaned them, heated them, didn't use any chemicals, just water, used Prime conditioner, they had filters, basically everything the same as my sorority. I thought it was just my fault that Poseidon died, and I'll never get over that, he was just so special to me. I know rationally I had no control of that, when it's been a safe container for so many other people and there was no reason to suspect that the tubs themselves were what killed my fish, but I do feel responsible for letting them down.

I'm glad my sorority is so healthy, it reminds me that I do know how to give good care to my fish.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #30 
callistra

I always wondered why they worked for some people to be honest.. A lot of plastic containers leach and you can smell the plastic outgasing in it for months or longer after you buy it so I couldn't imagine putting fish it.. but some can and do.. so I suppose it depends on the tub. I'm sorry you lost your fish :(

OH! You have vibran sea silks.. are you sure that wasn't what was doing it? I'm pretty sure mine are poisoning my newest boy. They smell and after a few days in the tank it REAKS of the plasticey plant smell from them.. few days later it was even. I bought three separate packs from three separate locals and the same results. I'm testing right now by leaving only the heater and no plants and seeing how that goes. If he stays well and the smell does not return it was the plants which is really a shame because the line has the most gorgeous and well made silks I have ever seen. No comparison.

Last edited by callistra; 03-02-2012 at 06:16 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote