Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
Zappity

How can I sanitize this?

My Mom has an old Kritter Keeper that she's had for..say, 20 years, since she had her Chinchilla. She would put him in it while she cleaned his cage. Fast forward to a few years ago, my uncle found a water snake (or two) and put them in it. Kept them in it over the summer and then let them go. Dumped it out, fast forward another year, and he put another snake in it for a day or two, then let it go. I'd like to use this as a fish tank. Is this possible? or is it far too dirty? It looks clean, just a couple scratches here and there. Can I properly sanitize it with vinegar? If not, how? I measured how much water, and it's approximately 3 gallons. Will it break from the pressure of the water? I'm soo worried about something happening and it somehow cracking.
Thank you :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
My Mom has an old Kritter Keeper that she's had for..say, 20 years, since she had her Chinchilla. She would put him in it while she cleaned his cage. Fast forward to a few years ago, my uncle found a water snake (or two) and put them in it. Kept them in it over the summer and then let them go. Dumped it out, fast forward another year, and he put another snake in it for a day or two, then let it go. I'd like to use this as a fish tank. Is this possible? or is it far too dirty? It looks clean, just a couple scratches here and there. Can I properly sanitize it with vinegar? If not, how? I measured how much water, and it's approximately 3 gallons. Will it break from the pressure of the water? I'm soo worried about something happening and it somehow cracking.
Thank you :)
bleach works great. make sure sure you rinse it out several times afterwards.

if you are worried about how strong it is, fill it up and put it in a rubbermaid tub for a few weeks and see if it leaks or breaks.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #3 
Zappity

Thank you.. Do you think vinegar would work just as well? I'm a little iffy on the bleach.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
Thank you.. Do you think vinegar would work just as well? I'm a little iffy on the bleach.
well i guess they say vinegar kills bacteria and is an herbicide. to what extent i do not know.

i do know that bleach always works and you can effectively rinse out bleach from tanks. if i were worried about disinfecting something i'd use bleach for sure.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
JKfish

Vinegar is an excellent way to sterlize the kritter keeper. Just fill the tank up 3/4ths of the way full of super hot water, and pour in vinegar until you can start to smell the vinegar in the kritter keeper. Let it soak for a few hours (if you're scared that the kritter keeper might break, set it in the bath tub and give it a 24 hour soak. This'll both sterilize it and help make sure that it won't break and is still capable of holding water. (honestly though, unless it is cracked, I'd say it'd probably do just fine).

Once you're done soaking it, pour it out and rinse in hot water. Scrub a few times. When you think you are done, give it one more quick rinse, and dry off with a clean towel.

Bleach would work as well. I use either or of the two when trying to sterilize something, and I've never had any issues with either.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #6 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Vinegar is an excellent way to sterlize the kritter keeper. Just fill the tank up 3/4ths of the way full of super hot water, and pour in vinegar until you can start to smell the vinegar in the kritter keeper. Let it soak for a few hours (if you're scared that the kritter keeper might break, set it in the bath tub and give it a 24 hour soak. This'll both sterilize it and help make sure that it won't break and is still capable of holding water. (honestly though, unless it is cracked, I'd say it'd probably do just fine).

Once you're done soaking it, pour it out and rinse in hot water. Scrub a few times. When you think you are done, give it one more quick rinse, and dry off with a clean towel.

Bleach would work as well. I use either or of the two when trying to sterilize something, and I've never had any issues with either.
Okay! I'll do that! Thank you :)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 
JBosley

I did a small amount of bleach, with TONS of water to clean my tank. I let it sit for a half hour, then dumped it, rinsed it with scalding hot water, and then let it soak in hot water for 24hrs and then rinsed it with scalding hot water again! Worked great for me. Good luck!!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote