Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Frozen food and 3 bloated boys, ahh!!

Ugh. I ended up at PetSmart this morning (was with my mom and she needed cat food) and I bought frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms for my bettas.

I have never fed this kind of food before, and well, obviously I fed them too much because all three are now bloated! I am not too worried about two of them, they just look well fed I guess, but oh my gosh, when I saw Lenymo's belly I felt a pit in my stomache... it's so big and round that I am worried I messed him up and he is going to get swim bladder or something I didn't feed him anymore than the other two but his stomache looks really big.

He is a crowntail and i know CT's look more bloated than others but still I am kind of worried, I have never had any over feeding issues with any of them/seen them that bloated before. I am going to watch them closely but could I have done damage here, can ONE overfeeding do damage??

I fed about half a cube of the thawed out brine shrimp between the 3 of them, which was obviously too much... I am guessing it should be about a 1/4 cube next time?? Aiya (I am definitely going to fast Lenymo tomorrow)

Any insight to how to feed this stuff properly/safely would be great. I got the frozen stuff because so many people recommend it but I'm scared I am going to mess up like this again and risk giving them all SBD or something
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Could he die !?!?
The other two look fine now but Lenymo still looks huge so I'm really worried, he is acting a bit funny too :(
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When you say "funny" what do you mean....as you already know CT stomach can appear larger than other tail types and generally with bloat you will have other symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen.....buoyancy, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding, stops eating and pooping to name a few of the most common thing you can see.....

Right now-I would just hold food for 24h and make a 25% water change....

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Thank you OFL for the quick reply!!

I just did the 25% change.
He seems to be having sporadic moments where he looks dopey and stops swimming. He kind of rested against the driftwood for a minute which I haven't seen him do before but he is still swimming fine, no buoyancy issues, and he isn't hiding anymore than he usually does (he'll go into the driftwood and come back out right after like usual, ect.) the places and the way he stops swimming/rests are just different then usual which is mainly what I mean't by "funny". He isn't acting totally off, but not totally himself either. His fins will maybe look clamped for a minute when he stops swimming sometimes, but then he goes back to normal... He is definitely not having any trouble moving around though, he just looks really fat - it was only about 1.5 hours ago that he was fed, so no updates on poop yet.

Here are the pictures of him they aren't that great though sorry. Aaahh I feel so bad :(

Last edited by peachesxo; 02-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I don't know about sick, but he's probably like us after Thanksgiving dinner (just generalizing, but trying to give a rough idea). I agree with OFL fast him for a day (possibly two!) and see how he is acting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote