Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 
FinTheFish

Arrow Who can Fin live with?

Hallo, Community. My fish Fin isn't an aggresive one, but he does and will nip at other fish. Right now he is in a tank about 2gal., and he has a couple plants and a sand castle decoration. Will anything go well like this? I would like to breed, but I know I'm going to need a bigger tank for that.
Thanks,
~Stephen
FinTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 
hedgehog

The only thing you could really put in that size tank is some shrimp. If he nips at other fish though he might try to eat the shrimp.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 
FinTheFish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
The only thing you could really put in that size tank is some shrimp. If he nips at other fish though he might try to eat the shrimp.
Thanks! I have some fake floating fish. Maybe I could experiment with those first to see how territorial he is.
FinTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

^^
That's an amazing idea! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 
veggiebetta

I don't know if I would suggest anything else besides shrimp or a snail or two in that size tank. Unless you can stock it with lots of live plants and a great filter. Might get a little tight in there. The calmest fish I can think of are schooling fish and won't be able to feel relaxed if they are all alone. Maybe get a bigger tank and we can toss more ideas out. I've got 3.5 gallon Critter Keeper with one female veil tale betta, three white cloud mountain minnows and one mystery snail. Loads of live plants, mosses, elodea, grasses and a banana plant. The minnows are fantastic, SUPERRRRR hardy as well and so docile. Most people don't think about them for starters but once they settle in their colors are so charming and their little displays are alot of fun to watch.
veggiebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

When stocking a tank it is important to meet the needs of all the livestock.

You should stock based on the adult size of the species-not the current size, then swimming needs, social needs, territory, compatibility, water chemistry and temp.....

Our goal with keeping fish is for them to grow, thrive and live to their average life expectancy......

By keeping fish in environments that don't met needs long term- is not much different than a Betta kept long term in one of the small temporary cups most are sold in.

Improper housing may work short term-but often it is just a matter of time before stress levels get to the point that the immune response is compromised and things crash......

IMO-anything smaller than 10gal is not larger enough to met all the needs of other species of fish along with the Betta long term....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, compatibility, fish, mate, small