Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

More Goldfish Questions~

I want to try goldfish again and since I'm moving, Ill have room to properly set up my tank!

I have a 40 gallon breeder and I'm looking at ranchus. I thought they were the ugliest things until I finally saw one in person. The waddle swim and face =all of my baw. So I must have them!

How many can I safely fit in my 40 gallon? Right now I have a filter on it rated for 45 gallons, Ill be getting another one for about the same. My tank is also cycled.

It looks like 2 or 3 would be good, granted I want 3 but I want to double check.
These will be the only fish in my tank. My mystery snail may also go in, but I'm not worrying about that yet.

Can I use sand as a substrate? I know goldies forage so I'm unsure how sand will affect them. All my other tanks house things that I dont have to worry about this X3

Any specific tips for ranchus? I did a crap ton of research and talked to a bunch of people when I was looking at getting ryukins so I know most of the basic goldfish care already.

Also, is it possible to get ranchus without wens? Im not quite sure if i like those yet X)
Can orandas have long fins? I find them so pretty.

Last edited by emeraldsky; 02-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I agree. Ranchu are adorable!^-^ Now that I've gotten the squee out of my system...

I've never seen a 40 breeder in person. What are the dimensions? How is it compared to a 55 gal?

For substrate, sand is a good choice. Either you want something that is too large for a goldy's mouth or something that can pass through their system unharmed. Sand is a good choice.

Here is what I would do about stocking: get two first. We know this tank can hold two. Check your parameters (nitrate, pH, ect), and see about what size water changes you need to do to keep the nitrates down under 20 ppm. If it doesn't look like you need really large changes (over 45%) then you could try a 3rd. Those little guys don't need as much swimming room as other varieties. But be prepared, if your water quality looks like it is decreasing too much, you'll have to get rid of one. Overstocking a tank is the death of your fish. I would actually keep out the mystery snail as they have large bioloads, and with goldfish you don't want anything else adding to the bioload because goldfish are already little poop machines.

One other tip that I don't see very often but might help your ranchus is to baffle the filter flow. With two 45-gal-rated filters running, you're going to have a bit of flow. Since ranchu aren't the greatest swimmers it would be a great idea to lessen the flow with sponges and water-bottle baffles. I did it with my guys (veiltail and ryukin) and is has made a large difference; they no longer fight the flow.

I wanna say I have seen ranchu without wens, but it's not a common thing. Maybe they were called lionheads or something(?). I also think I've seen oranda with long, flowing fins, but they always have a wen (it's a breed standard). After the experiences I'm having right now with long, flowing fins on my veiltail (finrot like mad), I'm not inclined to seek long-finned anything out. Remember, oranda get much larger than ranchus and you might only be able to keep one in the 40 breeder. In fact, the largest goldfish on record was an oranda.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
emeraldsky

I know >w<

40 Breeders are 36 x 18 x 16.
55g are 48 x 12 x 21

So breeders have a bigger footprint if I remember correctly.

Perfect! I love using pool filter sand, so much cheaper. Itll look fabulous with how I want my tank to look as well

hmmm thats a good plan. I'll probably stick to 2 then, I'd rather have them be comfortable rather than me being visually pleased X) The mystery snail will probably have to stay in that tank since its the only one it can fit in without being eaten, unless I move my cherry shrimp colony to my 30 gallon breeder, which is actually a very real possibility 8D

My filter right now is already baffled so that works out well, Ill be sure to baffle the new one as well ^^

honestly, the wen doesnt bother me too much, I DO however want a fish with longer fins though.

What is the difference between an oranda and a ranchu? I'll probably stay away from orandas if they get really big, I know for sure I want a pair of goldfish since they are social and I wont be there all the time to interact with them.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

All this talk about ranchu is really making me want to get one. Time to use some self control here! I've got the room but not the quarantine space right now.

The 40B does have a larger footprint, but it lacks the gallonage of a 55 gal. That footprint should be fine for 3 goldies because a 55 gal is fine for 3 goldies, but the lesser amount of water could make it harder to keep the water quality good.

Keeping two goldies is erring on the side of caution, but it's not always a bad thing. I've got two in my 55 gal (slightly understocked), and I still see problems with them from time to time. I have them separated now because the ryukin likes to nibble on my veiltail's long fins (which doesn't help the fin rot), and they spend almost all of their time at the divider looking at each other.

Oranda and ranchu are rather different. Oranda have dorsal fins, ranchu don't. Oranda can have long fins, ranchu don't. Oranda will get rather large, ranchu typically don't. Both can be prone to swim bladder problems due to their body shape, and both have wens.

If you want a long-finned goldfish that stays small why not find a long-finned ryukin? Like oranda, they come in long-finned and shorter-finned varieties. But they tend to stay a little smaller than oranda.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
All this talk about ranchu is really making me want to get one. Time to use some self control here! I've got the room but not the quarantine space right now.

The 40B does have a larger footprint, but it lacks the gallonage of a 55 gal. That footprint should be fine for 3 goldies because a 55 gal is fine for 3 goldies, but the lesser amount of water could make it harder to keep the water quality good.

Keeping two goldies is erring on the side of caution, but it's not always a bad thing. I've got two in my 55 gal (slightly understocked), and I still see problems with them from time to time. I have them separated now because the ryukin likes to nibble on my veiltail's long fins (which doesn't help the fin rot), and they spend almost all of their time at the divider looking at each other.

Oranda and ranchu are rather different. Oranda have dorsal fins, ranchu don't. Oranda can have long fins, ranchu don't. Oranda will get rather large, ranchu typically don't. Both can be prone to swim bladder problems due to their body shape, and both have wens.

If you want a long-finned goldfish that stays small why not find a long-finned ryukin? Like oranda, they come in long-finned and shorter-finned varieties. But they tend to stay a little smaller than oranda.

Its the chubby face :P

I think I will only go with 2, the way I have my tank set up planned will look better with less fish anyways X)

ah ok, i want ranchus then, I can put up with small tails since I just adore the chub faces lol.
Ive already tried ryukins before, I want something different this time ^^
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I can't wait to see pictures! I love those little chubby faces ^.^

If I may ask, what happened to your ryukin? Mine have been nothing but hardy.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #7 
emeraldsky

Itll be awhile until I get it set up, I just moved all my stuff over last night so everything I own is in shambles XD

To be honest, Im not terribly sure.

I came home and my entire tank was dead, I /think/ it might have been an nitrite spike since I didnt have a test kit back then.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I dread the day I will have to move with my fish tanks. I hate moving in general, but with fish tanks I imagine it is so much worse.

Sad as they are, it seems like we all have stories like that from the beginning of our fishkeeping days. But your tank is cycled now so you won't have to worry about that!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 
emeraldsky

It was all bad, i got done moving at midnight so all my fish are still in their cups/buckets. Ill be setting up my tanks when i get off work ^^

Yep, it was before I really knew about cycling and ive been making sure to take things a lot slower this time and make sure everythings done right ^^
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 
emeraldsky

Alright, after getting settled, it doesnt seem like a good idea to set up my 40gallon, due to space and the money to get everything completed on it.

Instead I'll be setting up my 30 gallon breeder, since I have everything needed to get it going already. Would only 1 goldfish be ok in there? I know they are social, so I wanted to double check.

What type of goldfish would be good for this sort of tank, can I stay with a ranchu or should I look at ryukins since you mentioned them staying a bit smaller.

Im tinkering on aqadvisor and it actually says 2 would be good in there but im not sure....

Tags
oranda