Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

For swimming room and biological capacity I think one ranchu would be fine in a 30 breeder. They usually grow around 6 inches and aren't very good swimmers. But one goldfish by itself isn't usually a happy fish. I'm kinda stumped right now.

Do you plan to have any live plants?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #12 
emeraldsky

Since I read goldfish tend to eat them, i wasnt planning on it. Especially since I tend to kill plants X)
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

I'd always heard that, too. And I never thought I would want plants until I tried them. Goldfish do have a tendency to munch the softer-leaved plants, but there are ones that work great with goldfish because they are either unappetizing or can outgrow the munching. If you have stock lighting that came with the hood I would add hornwort as it is a great ammonia sink even under low light. Mine can grow up to a foot in a week. If you do want to upgrade to plant-friendly lighting many more options open up: water sprite, anarcharis, and duckweed. All of which goldfish like to eat, but under good lighting they will outgrow the grazing. None of these need fertilizer.

I started my journey into goldfish plants when I needed extra help keeping up with the water quality. They really have made a difference. This past week I had to remove the plants because of a fin-rot outbreak. My ammonia actually spiked; the plants were eating up that much that removing them had a large effect on the tank.

I know plants might seem daunting, but adding them in with your little guys might make the difference between being able to keep one or two ranchu.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #14 
emeraldsky

Right now I have anarcharis and really like that, though others havent gone as well. I stopped trying new plants out when I killed duckweed XD

I dont have lighting at the moment, the top i have is a clear top, made of plastic. Im planning on getting a couple lamps and switching out the bulbs to the better one for plants. (After doing more research lol)

If they help that much I will definitely look into them. I'm not sure how I'll incorporate it into the theme I have set in my head but if I can make it work to where I can have 2 then I'll make it work ^^
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

You killed duckweed? O.o Can you come to my house? :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Haha! There are actually a few varieties of duckweed some of which are harder to kill. The one I have is a wimp and will kick the bucket with anything less than ideal lighting. Maybe Bomba can send you some of her teflon-duckweed! It makes a great algae-competitor and goldfish food.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #17 
emeraldsky

@Bombalurina
Buaha XD
With everyone complaining about it overtaking their tanks, i could start a business killing it off :P

@thekoimaiden
That would be fabulous actually, ill probably set up my tank today and would love to get a headstart on some plants ^^
was thinking of actually ordering some plants online this time.

Ou speaking of which, do you know of a good supplier of goldfish online? The only place around me that has ranchus has ones that are VERY unhealthy looking and after talking to the owner, he says he just about never gets new ones in.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

I'm currently treating my goldfish tank for fin-rot (and making a mental note to never get the very long-finned varieties again). I wouldn't feel safe giving you any of my plants. I'm sorry. You could try aquabid, tho. I've seen a lot of good-looking plants there for cheap.

I'm not a fan of buying goldfish online. Because their markings can be so varied, I like to see the fish before I buy. Ergo, I haven't bought goldfish online. The first place I would check is Aquabid. You could also try browsing some goldfish forums and seeing if they know a place or a breeder. Just like with bettas, you're going to get the healthiest fish from a breeder. And another plus of that would be a disease-free fish! You could try PM-img Lupin to see if he knows anyone.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

I'd happily send you some of my plants, as they are all annoyingly fast-growing and disease free, but I'm not sure I'd be allowed to ship a bag of duckweed from Australia to the USA. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #20 
emeraldsky

@thekoimaiden
Is fin rot contagious? I wasnt aware, I'll have to be more careful treating it from now on x.x
Thank you for the thought of sending some plants though, it's very appreciated ^^

I'm in luck, my friends went to a pet store about an hour away from me and they have ranchus for fairly cheap and they said they were healthy looking. I haven't seen them myself yet so I'll need to see them but at least it's somewhere to start with. I'm also iffy about buying fish online since I can't see them first.

@Bombalurina
Im not sure the shipping cost would even make it feasible X3
Thank you though!

Tags
oranda