Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 
labloverl

cycled tank cleaning

So just how spotless does everyone keep their tank??

I do the weekly water changes and vaccum the gravel. What about the algae and gook that forms on the filter box? What about the stuff that's left on the glass when the water level drops? What if the tank smells "fishy?"
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I basically remove 50% of the water I'm siphoning the bottom and scub the glass with a filter sponge. I rinse anything I want to rinse (filter sponges, decorations, heater, etc.) in the old water and place back in the tank. Then I finish siphoning the tank of any gunk that has fallen back on the gravel and refill with new water.
This deeper cleaning I usually do once a month. In between I just do small water changes.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I do a 35ish% change on Odysseus's 5 gallon once a week with a gravel vacuum.
The shrimp tank (3 gallons) gets a 50% change about once a month.
The overstocked but heavily planted and overfiltered sorority (16ish gallons) gets twice weekly changes, one of 25% and one of 33%. I vacuum the sand both times, and sometimes do a bit of gravel-poking. I disturb the sand once a week.

If I see algae, I wipe it off. I tend to rinse my filter sponges once a month, sometimes less (mostly because I forget). I don't really get residue on the glass from evaporation, just duckweed, which I wipe off. My tanks never smell fishy, so I haven't had that problem. Except when I break them down to rearrange them. Good grief, what stink.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 
JBosley

I do a 50% change once a week and a 100% change every other week. Use a turkey baster to stir up the substrate and grab any floaties and rinse the gravel with hot water when I do a 100% change. Rinse all plants and decorations during the 100% change, sometimes during the 50% change! And use a sponge to wipe things off the sides of the tank. I love everything looking nice and clean!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #5 
labloverl

Ok, well I was told for my 10 gallon to only do a 50% change once a week because it is cycled. Is that correct? I guess I need to do some wiping next time.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote