Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Gah, I think he has velvet AND ich... i see little white spots bext to his mouth and a greyish bit on his face that sort of shines when i put a lamp to it... the photo was too hard to take trying to hold te table lamp
AND the camera.... what should I do now? I dont get paid util next week...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

A white semi circle has also appeared above his eyes, and he yawns alot, I am so worried... someone help...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

Velvet does not appear as grey. It's a gold dust covering slightly finer than ick. I don't think he has it at all.

Ick might be a possibility, but you'd still need to get a heater for effective and quick treatment and quarantine either him or the shrimp since the shrimp cannot handle the medication or alternative treatment.

Ick is only vulnerable when it's free swimming in the water, which is after the parents have dropped off the fish, reproduced, and the eggs hatched. To treat in room temperature water instead of 80 degrees can take up to 2 weeks or more.

The white spot can be natural coloring. I have a male with a black face that has 1 white spot that never goes away. It looks exactly like ick, but he's been treated for it before and displays no other signs of having the parasite.

The white circles around his eyes can also be natural. they seem to be more common or easier to see in bettas with darker faces. My boy with the black face has white rings around his eyes as well.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Its just that I dont remember seeing it there before...I had to take the shrimp out any way, since I dont think it can stand not having a daily water change ( it was acting all lethargic and stuff). it's now in a 1/4 gallon glass drinking bottle by itself. Ive upped the heating in the house to 80F and hopefully that will help the poor fish a bit, He seems to be fine with the salt, I took him out of the jar with plants and plan to keep him in a plastic 1gal tub so he has less things to rub on and hurt himself...
I guess its wait a week and see...Im so scared of having it die on me, Im willing to adopt it off to someone who is more knowlegeable about these creatures, but here in NYC they're really a dime a dozen. :( poor fishy and me
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

Im going to keep updating as I would deftinately love some more help, and een if no one helps... oh well this can be a diary or a reference down the line... the betta is doing much better after I put him in a 1 gal plastic jar yesterday and a small tea bag of roobis. Covered the entire thing with a brown paper bag.

Bubble nest was there when I came home, fed him 2 pellets in the morning and 1pellet +2 blood worms at night. his fins are no longer clamped and the small hole in it has shrunk. The white thing on his face seems a little bigger so Im going to try betta revive(no breakfast or lunch for me tomorrow!) to see if it will help clear it up. temperature in the house is now averaging at 80F.

Poured him into a small clear lunch box so I can make a water change in the larger jar. will put him back when temperature averages out. was gifted a bottle of stress coat after sharing the sory of the poor fish with a good friend, added that in instead of the usual tap conditioner.

Let's hope this fellow recovers and live a long happy life...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Did notice clear fin regrowth where he had a small rot previously
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

day 2 Update, bought some betta revive.

Did another 100% (or is it 99%?) water change, he seems to not mind the water changes now. Obediently sitting in his corner until ive poured out all but enough for him to sit in a corner. then i'd pour him into the waiting tub before putting him back into the changed tank.

Dosing him at close to 3tsp/gal salt, and small bag of roobis tea as usual, conditioned with stress coat and a little aqeon water conditioner.

The ich seems to have dropped off, Im still keeping him covered the majority if the time since He seems to have a little velvet near his gills. better safe than sorry right? hes in around 0.6 gals of water right now, did all the math and added 5 drops of betta revive. Waters a nice green color since im still doing the roobis tea for tannins. He has stopped flashing and has de clamped himself, his fins are all nice and spread out! Fin regrowth is continuing on his tail , the hole has vanished. He does seem a little annoyed at being in a bare tank, but is other wise swimming around quite happily.

When I got him he had these curls in his fins which i eventually found out was from bad water, but they're so cute, ive come to love the little swirly curls.

Used the household thermometer to stir up a little current for his daily exercise as well as making him jump for his two nightly pellets.

There is still the mystery pale spots on his face, he has two white dots that looks like noses, too which im not sure about, hopefully the betta revive will help defeat these symptoms.

If anyone is wondering why I havent named him yet, I dont think I will ever name him. Animals I name seem to just die, unfortunately he'll forever be the veiltail royal blue betta fish or something along thise lines.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

And heres the updated image
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #19 
Aus

I hope your fishy feels better soon. If it helps, I just wanted to say good on you for caring about his well-being as you do.

My daughter's betta has a permanent pale patch on his face, which isn't very visible unless he's stressy in which case it goes really white. He also had several brilliant blue spots which didn't appear until he'd settled in. Sid was also very droopy (a veiltail like your boy) when I got him - a heater made all the difference, but even then it took him a while to settle in. Now he's Mister Scary Ninja Fish, and zooms around like maniac, lol.

3 tps of salt per gallon seems like an awful lot? I had to cut Sid from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp per gallon because it was visibly stressing him at day 2. Now the ich spots have dropped off, and if you're cleaning his tank thoroughly every day to get rid of whatever's dropped off of him, perhaps you could cut it back a bit? Is there a set time you were recommended to use 3tsps?

I love that you exercise him - I do similar things for Sid, and he gets really excited at 'playtime'. I really hope he is well soon and you and your fish can relax together. Good luck with everything!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi Aus! might you from australia? or austria? or is that just an arbitrary name? :D Im glad someone replied! I thought I was talking to myself, and going to be all lonely.

The pale spots unfortunately when I shine a lamp( yes a lamp, since i dont have flashlights :D) are shiny and looks like copper, so infortunately its velvet, it seems to have gotten worse since O last saw it so Im cutting off all light... a white bit on his nose seems a bit bigger today so Im going to keep a vigilant eye out fir that one too :(.

About the 3tsp/gal, its more like 1.5tsp/0.6gal. I was a little worried at first too. I swear I was staring at him for an entire hour, but since then he's stopped scratching, destressed and seems genuinely happy, Im going to take him off salt in 7more days just to complete the treatment. this morning there was the biggest bunble nest ever! he took up all 4 sides of my container, I felt like he was tryig to cover the whole surface area there. =D I think Im gonna reward him with a nice big fd blood worm

I never worried about heating since the temperature in basement i live in is rock steady in winter, I dont know what Im going to do in summer thiugh :(, are tere aircons made for aquariums?

But I swear after this guy reaches the end of his (hopefully long long long) lifespan, Im never going to have another fish ever again:P

Tags
betta, depressed, no energy