Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #21 
PaintingPintos

I was just wondering....
A grey chin meens age? I've had Omelette for 3 months now, and his chin/chest have always been white/silver... he's OLD?!?! He's so little though.... what are other signs of age?
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #22 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Hi Aus! might you from australia? or austria? or is that just an arbitrary name? :D Im glad someone replied! I thought I was talking to myself, and going to be all lonely.

The pale spots unfortunately when I shine a lamp( yes a lamp, since i dont have flashlights :D) are shiny and looks like copper, so infortunately its velvet, it seems to have gotten worse since O last saw it so Im cutting off all light... a white bit on his nose seems a bit bigger today so Im going to keep a vigilant eye out fir that one too :(.

About the 3tsp/gal, its more like 1.5tsp/0.6gal. I was a little worried at first too. I swear I was staring at him for an entire hour, but since then he's stopped scratching, destressed and seems genuinely happy, Im going to take him off salt in 7more days just to complete the treatment. this morning there was the biggest bunble nest ever! he took up all 4 sides of my container, I felt like he was tryig to cover the whole surface area there. =D I think Im gonna reward him with a nice big fd blood worm

I never worried about heating since the temperature in basement i live in is rock steady in winter, I dont know what Im going to do in summer thiugh :(, are tere aircons made for aquariums?

But I swear after this guy reaches the end of his (hopefully long long long) lifespan, Im never going to have another fish ever again:P

Yup, Australia! :)

And ouch, velvet, poor fish. Sid loves the salt - maybe he's just more sensitive to the larger doses - and he's bubblenested, too, and has shown all kinds of improvements in his fins. He had ich a couple weeks back, but I hit that with Protozin and it ran screaming, lol. I'm not using meds in a hurry again, though, as I have bit of faith in salt treatment now. I hope your fish gets well soon and it's cool that your basement stays so warm. And you know - you CAN make aircon for fishtanks, I was just reading about it today - wayyyy to complex for me, though. :B

And pfffft, you'll have another one. They swim into your blood when you're not looking.

I also don't think grey chins are always a sign of age? My daughter's betta is only a babyfish and has pale under there at times..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

Age? I think thats when your fish starts to gradually lose its color,. become slower, flare less, and when they have diseases their immune systems are so weak they wont get better no matter what you do, even if its just a simple fin rot

Ive heard of bettas living 7 years, which is why Ive stopped trying to assume that my fish's problems are due to old age :)

Oh and Im australian too! Chinese Aussie, studying in NYC:) originally came from Sydney. I was wondering if there were any Aussies on here ;)

for the aircon... instead of ttying to build an aircon for a jar, I think this summer i'll just bring in the aircon when it gets too hot and pay the landlord the extra $30/mo. :)

I didnt use med on The fish's ich since I read that it can be cured with temperature and water changes, but velvet i wasnt so sure about. need to read up more on medication. Ive always kept him with a bag of roobis tea which he looooves. I ordered IAL a while ago, but seeing it was shipped from singapore its taking its sweet time arriving.

What color's your fish Aus?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #24 
Aus

Whee, another Aussie! You're a long way from home! What're you studying?

I'm in soggy old Melbourne, you know - the place with all the culture.

No idea about velvet/meds.. though thanks for the reminder to look it up, just in case. My fish Sid is a pretty bog-standard red VT with blue glitter on his body. I like the VT's best, though, there's just something about them. He's also a ninja. *nodnod*

I can't wait to get some IAL. I spent my childhood around riverlands and dark water by the tree roots was always my favourite thing to poke around in, for frogs and baby fish and all sorts of critters. It's kind of mysterious.. and it's good for the bettas, to boot. win/win! Lots of oaks around here - but pesticides worry me, so no gathering leaves.

Saw a beautiful dark water tank not long ago, with a B. macrostoma living in it. It made me want one exactly like it. Including the macro, lol. They have the most wonderful cranky faces.

Last edited by Aus; 03-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

May I ask if you slept at all last night? :D since you seem to be replying in the early ams and all.

studying Graphic design at the Fashion institute of Technology (cheap state school great professors), Went to Sydney Uni before that for architecture but found it to be meh and came here half way through the course, glad i did:)

Melbourne is great! Ive been there plenty of times, the only thing that annoys me down there is how indecisive the weather is. And Brisbane is way to hot. Think I'll stick to good old sydney in the future :D.

I totally under stand the feeling of goiong knee deep in creeks and catching tadpoles. There was a nice old creek near our house, I used to catch a jar of tadpoles( or steal a bunch of eggs) and release them again when they've turned into frogs again, too bad I never caught any fish :)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #26 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
May I ask if you slept at all last night? :D since you seem to be replying in the early ams and all.
Nope.

Chronic insomnia. Plus, I was drawing and reading here, and replying.. I like being up when the world is asleep. The only bit that sucks is making it through the next day.. but worth it!

Quote:
studying Graphic design at the Fashion institute of Technology (cheap state school great professors), Went to Sydney Uni before that for architecture but found it to be meh and came here half way through the course, glad i did:)

Melbourne is great! Ive been there plenty of times, the only thing that annoys me down there is how indecisive the weather is. And Brisbane is way to hot. Think I'll stick to good old sydney in the future :D.
Awesome! Lucky you, getting to travel and live abroad. And ooh - fashion institute? What career do you have your heart set on?

Quote:
I totally under stand the feeling of goiong knee deep in creeks and catching tadpoles. There was a nice old creek near our house, I used to catch a jar of tadpoles( or steal a bunch of eggs) and release them again when they've turned into frogs again, too bad I never caught any fish :)
What about yabbies? LOL. Omg, I loved those things as a kid, kept some for years in a fish tank in the back yard. Little fish, too, wild-caught, though I let those go after watching them a while. Our place was crawling in every kind of native life (including the 9-ft tiger snake that trapped me in the outside loo...oi) , so I had like, 1000 pets, it was brilliant. The tadpole jars - I just never grew out of those. Had one a few years back, lol.

Sydney's a nice place to visit... too many weirdos for me, tho
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sorry for the absence! I was trying to get a project done for my monday class. Fish update day 4: ( day 3 was pretty much like day two, no visible sugn of ich, but there deftinately is some velvet still there)

Today the velet patch seems to have shrunk a bit, not sure , the guy wont stay still enough for me to look closely. he's constantly battling against the wall of the plastic lunch box, looks super bored though, Im thinking of rummaging around for something he can atleast hide in, day 4 same formular, same old super excited betta, I played the donkey with a carrot trick on him today and led him around in circle with a betta pellet hovering eer so slightly out of his reach, daily exercises? done. :) preparing eater for the fish now, Im really gettin tired of changing his water everday, but then it's probably cos I need some extra sleep tonight to make up for those lost the previous day....

Aus you still there? ur tiger snake reminded me of the time me and the neighbors kids saw a brown snake near the bush in our back yard and booyyyy did we run, didnt stop fill we were saftely behind manmade walls. And I dont think I ever took an interest in yabbies, I always thought of them as baby prawns, lol. I always wondered whether people kept them to be eaten somewhere down the line:D
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

Photos and video update

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...u/ff3bc4ae.mp4

chase the thermometer for food video!

OMG! poop!

"I refusr to remain still for even a split second photo"
Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh that reminds me, got a story to share, went into petco and saw a couple with two bettas, they bought one of those mini half gallon (less?) divider tanks for the two bettas, I didnt know what to say oO, why does petco even sell these, "where the healthy animals go?" yeahhhh righhhhhhttt
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

Clearest picture I have of him yet. white spots are air bubbles

Todays update!
Pretty much same as yesterday, except he now has his own pot to play hide and seek in, velvets still there...4 more days till hes off salt and meds! schools getting busy, might adopt him off to a friend who is graduating.
thinkin of putting a lid on his jar to up the temperture a bit.

Tags
betta, depressed, no energy