Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 
Kiere

Update on lightly planted tank & GS issues

So I originally posted a thread when I was upgrading and adding live plants but never got around to showing the finished product. This is the original thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82932

Since that post unfortunately my moss ball and Orville has passed on, he was chronically sick since I got him on. In his death I was able to able to save a pale face crown tail from walmart. I couldn't believe it when I saw him because I was planning on ordering from Chard when the weather warmed up. But who could resist, knowing that this beauty would be sick in a matter of days?! Obviously, not me.

As for Neptune's sweet set up I made a cover for the tank added wisteria and a new moss ball which is doing much better. The sand bottom is much easier to deal with in reguards to not disturbing the roots of the Vals. when cleaning.

I have however had trouble with the addition of GS to the tank. They are spectacular cleaners, but often last a week or 2 if I'm lucky, then Neptune gets a tasty snack... I would however like to keep them alive is there something I am missing in regards to their care? Would I have better luck with a snail? With the plants and filter I do a 50% water change once weekly on OFL advice. Any suggestions would be great! The ghost shrimp death count is at 4. Any advice is always appreciated!

Here are a couple more photos from the top view.
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

That is one crazy tank.

For keeping the shrimp alive, I can only suggest more cover. Java moss is also a good idea. The rest is really up to the shrimp to learn to keep out of the betta's way.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 
Kiere

Oh no Neptune just eats them after they have died. I figure it is good protein : ) Maybe there is a nitrate spike that is killing them...
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 
Silverfang

shrimp are sensitive to nitrites/trates (I can't remember which). If they aren't a snack, that could be it. Also, bettas may harass a shrimp to the point they keel over, I know mine did.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote