Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

PetSmart Interview tomorrow!!!

While I know PetSmart isn't the greatest of places for pet care, I've managed to get an interview there. I'm hoping that the knowledge I've gained of having animals over the years along with the help I've had from this website will come in handy to get the job AND I'll be able to give sound, helpful advice to customers ^.^ Anybody work there and/or have any tips for the interview? I'm so nervous >.< and I really want to work there.... Not only for me, the customers, but for all the animals, fish, bird, reptile alike 'cause I know I'll not only follow the advice from what PetSmart recommends, but what I've learned and will STILL learn from my own research!!
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Pretend you know nothing about animals and are just after a quick sell? :p Just joking...though it seems to work for most other chain store employees....
Just do what you would for a normal interview. Be thoroughly aware of the shop's policies, be polite and calm, show your knowledge of the products they sell. They may ask "What would you do in such and such a situation" so think of some responses (for instance, a customer demanding a refund on certain things, a mess in an aisle...those sorts of things).

Can I ask a return question? One of the local Pets' Paradise, where I got Circe, is asking for new staff. I hate the shop with a passion, I hate the owner because he once froze a rat alive and I hate one of the current staff members, but maybe I could make a difference working there. I don't know! Do you think I should apply?
My biggest stumbling block would be working for such an unethical, unprincipled ratbag of a boss....
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Cools ^.^ I've been getting advice from a couple of other people I live with, as well as looking on the internet on PetSmart interviews so I figured I may as well try asking here as well. I specifically applied for pet care associate, which is more or less assisting customers, cleaning up after the animals, and handling them... From what I've gathered it varies on which PetSmart it is and I have terrific answers with animal related stuff, just not so much with customer service... so your ideas of dealing with customers is definitely a big help ^.^ I really didn't think of things like people demanding refunds or having to deal with people related messes... lol..
Well, I know one of the reasons why I keep trying at PetSmart and hoping I make a difference is the staff, while not knowledgeable with... alot of things, to say the least xD.... they're not quite as hostile as the Pet's Paradise place you're describing....(that poor rat ;__;) It sounds like not only would you have to deal with a fellow staff member being a jerk, but also the person that is in control of your check; therefore if you try to make a life changing difference for a pet and, in my opinion, improve the store quality it seems like you'd have to deal with a "rat" that could rat you out everytime as well as the boss himself.... If he's able to actually see that what you're doing is making a positive difference and you feel that he's the type of person that could do that then at least there's a ray of hope... I don't think it would be worth it, but if you're feeling brave enough, I say go for it! You'd probably deal with a lot of bull before getting fired or quit, but you'd also have an opportunity of making a difference with an animal AND a customer.... I suppose the conclusion of my answer is: it all depends on what you're willing to deal with.
Sorry for the long response!! ^.^;;

Last edited by Romad; 03-01-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Apparently I did something right 'cause I have a follow up with another manager (the head hancho of the pet care job) tomorrow at 10 ^.^ The manager I was talking to for my first interview was uber chillaxed and he knew what was what with the place. From what I can tell thus far, it's a company that I'll be very comfortable to work at. I guess I just lucked out in comparison to other Petsmart places.... Well, still don't know if I've got the job yet, but I'm pretty confident. Here's to hoping!! *crosses fingers* >.<
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Yay! I have my fingers crossed for you too. :)

I decided not to apply to PP as I was offered a job at a petminding company instead. I've already got one hateful, unrewarding job so I probably shouldn't add another too it. I'll take the petminding instead. :P
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Thanks ^.^ And awesome!! xD It does sound like it would be craptastical if you already have a job that isn't... the best thing in existence and then add another one to your list of things to dread.... I'm glad you've gotten an offer at a petminding company, though! Seems like it'll be more promising, so I'll cross a finger for you, too! lol
Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 
copperarabian

That's awesome! I recently got hired at petsmart but the drug test has taken for ever(getting the papers shipped to the store, and my results might of been lost!) Either way I hope I get to start soon.

I hope you get it :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

You have to do a drug test to get hired? O.o
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Ooooh cools ^.^ Hopefully you'll get the job as well- it seems like it'd be a nice place to work and broaden someone's experience with animals even if you have to deal with other employees that don't quite share the same.. passion as you do >.>... D: Hopefully it's just taking a bit for the papers to get in and not that they lost it... that suck.... Here's to hoping for the both of us!! *extra finger crossed for copperarabian*
>.< Running out of fingers....
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #10 
Aus

Quote:
You have to do a drug test to get hired? O.o
We still have a whole lot of freedom here compared to some, Bomba. About 15 years behind the times, I think, and I'm mostly very glad about that. Lol.

I miss University being free. Stupid "progress". :(

Good luck to everyone with the jobs. Nice to think there'll be caring, responsible people undermining the status quo. ;)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote