Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 
Enkil

Odin help

So I got 6 fish on Sat. Three boys and three girls. Mt girls seem to be thriving. One boy interacts with me all the time, another sleeps a lot and the third...

Well, I'm having trouble with Odin...
Tank info: 10gal tank divided into 3. Filtered and heated (80*)
He hasn't eaten since arriving. His color is excellent and he shows no physical signs of illness.

The trouble?
Odin lays on the bottom... Generally on his side... He swims rather frantically for the surface, grabs a breath, then lets himself fall back to the bottom. The fall is slow. I'm not really sure what to make of this since he was fine the other day. We just did a water change and he was rather listless throughout the experience where as my girls are now more active, Leonidas is more spunky, and Egil remains the same..

Should I be worrying about my Odin? Is this behavior normal? Could it be that the water change was a little too stressful for him?

I know I'm a big worrier, but he's one of my babies now.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 
Sakura8

The temps of the tank water and the replacement water were the same? Remembered water conditioner?

He might just be settling in. Every betta reacts differently to being shipped and Odin might have a harder time adjusting to his new environment.

How did you do the change? If you use a siphon, the change should be pretty unstressful, as you just suck the water out and pour it back in.

I hope Odin feels better and perks up soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 
peachesxo

Can he see the betta/bettas next to him all the time or do you have their views through the dividers blocked? He maybe stressed by the other(s) if he can see them all the time, some bettas get depressed having a neighbour, others don't mind it/enjoy having another betta to bug on occasion - I just had to go buy more plants because my 2 in my divided tank were driving eachother nuts
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 
Enkil

Water temps were only about 1 degree apart with the replacement water being the warmer. Had to take them out to do the change since the tanks were being moved as well. I acclimated them to the water again before releasing them. Each handled it in a different way but he's been listless today. When I first got him, he was my bundle of energy. Made sure that conditioner was put in.

I have most of the dividers blocked by plants. He hasn't taken note of his neighbors. All three have places to hide.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Since he had to be removed this time, he might be a bit stressed from that. Keep an eye on him and if he continues to act off, put him in his own tank for a while. He might need a salt treatment but which salt to use would depend on his symptoms.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 
Enkil

I'll definitely keep an eye on him. I worry too much not to, as you've seen with Hannibal...

I was going to get one of the boys his own tank anyways, so that may well go to him. I'm hoping this is just stress and he's trying to sleep it off since he's still young. I know Egil is happily napping.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I hope it's just stress too. And it's okay to worry. We all worry about our fishies. :) You're doing just fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
Enkil

He just swam more normally. Perhaps between the stress and having such finnage, it was just a bit much for him.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #9 
inareverie85

Take care. I had a betta with that exact problem, and he died about 6 hours after I noticed him "falling" down from taking breaths. He ate well until the day of his death, and he had no other symptoms. He color was fine, his scales were fine, and he had no bulges or cloudy eyes.

And that tank is in my office. So I saw him a lot throughout the day..

15 gallons, fully cycled, heavily planted, with peaceful community tankmates.. Every fish in there was fine, but he suddenly had some sort of swim bladder issue and died before I could go out for medications..

Just keep an eye on your little one, and try not to stress him out too much with too many changes. I did a major water change once I started worrying for him, thinking perhaps something foul was in my water.. I think it did more harm than good, in hindsight. :(

Last edited by inareverie85; 02-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #10 
Enkil

Oh my!

Odin wont have to worry about my stressing him. I check on him rather casually and can see his tank from my bed. So I can keep an eye on him from a distance. He's one of my new babies so I worry a lot. I know they were very well taken care of before coming to me and I do tend to spoil my fish. >>