Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #11 
Tobythefish

Will do ES salt. I guess I should mention, his motions are jerky, not fluid, compared to our other betta, Ares. He also has a voracious apetite, especially since we recently upgraded to NLS. I will do my best to keep him around 78 degrees, but his heater is a hydor 7.5 watt, which doesn't have an internal thermostat. Since the ammonia levels might get too high if I only do 25% water changes, could I do several partial water changes? I would do them about every 15-20 minutes if that would work. That would only be for today, starting tomorrow I would do daily 25% water changes. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Tobythefish; 03-05-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: modify post
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #12 
Tobythefish

I just did a partial water change. It was closer to 50% than 25%, never mind. I'm going to do one more today after 15 minutes. His movements which I mentioned being jerky are also stiff, and his fins are very short. He is the betta in our avatar, but he looks a lot different now. The fins are half the length they are in the avatar picture, but there are no signs of fin rot and no fin chunks are on the bottom.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #13 
Tobythefish

Did second water change.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

At least he is lucky to have you. And he is in the clean water now...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #15 
Tobythefish

Quick update:
He looks a tiny bit better, and the angle at which his back end hangs down isn't as steep as it used to be. He loves his NLS Betta Formula pellets, but today when I fed him freeze-dried bloodworms, he ate one tiny one and spit the rest out (I fed him 3 very small ones).
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #16 
Tobythefish

I left the bloodworms in and he ate them, must just have had a hard time eating them.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

At least he is eating which is good sing. You just started Epsom salt so he might get even better:)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #18 
Tobythefish

He's doing about the same. The only difference are his fins are even shorter, and there are two tiny black spots on the back. The black spots started out a few days ago and looked like dry skin peeling away(it looked like athletes foot on a human). Then they turned black. I tried to get pictures of the black spots, but I couldn't. I couldn't get any pictures without a flash, so these are all with flash. The first one was taken in December. The next four were taken several days ago. And the last two were taken last night. We don't see any evidence of fin rot, and we havent' seen him tail-biting, the fins just seem to be disappearing-and disappearing evenly. He doesn't swim much at all, spending most of his time perched on top of his suction cup (in picture) or thermometer (probably because it's hard to swim without fins). His movements are jerky and stiff, not at all fluid like they used to be. He never has been one to look at, owing to the neglect he received from his first owners. But now he just looks terrible. The one positive thing to report is that he still gets excited about eating, and seems to have a good appetite. He also likes to say hi when we go by his tank. Poor guy, any advice? Thanks ever-so-much!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, it looks like he is aging out and not a lot we can do except to keep him comfy.....

If I remember correctly he is well over 2 years old and this being a short lived species to start then along with the poor care he received before you got him can sometimes limit life span....on average longevity is 2-3 years-rarely 4-5 years.....genetic, overall health, past health issues, nutrition...etc....all can impact longevity.....

What you are doing is about all I know to do in cases like this.....good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Poor guy at least he is not suffering if he still get excited about eating:(