Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Breeding for 1 tail type and 1 color you would need at least 2 pairs - to later cross fry. Then after a few generations, you will need to buy new pairs to introduce new genes. In short with parents and fry, you might be housing 10 pairs.... unless you plan to sell the parents after you get fry. That's only 1 tail type and color.

The more types and colors you work with, the more you will have to house. So the question is; can you house 100 or more bettas? And this gets worse if you work with combined genetic colors, like super red, etc. You will end up with 3 different colors which you need to cross once in a while.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to point out the facts you will most probably face.

IMO, it's better to work with one type and color. Work on the fins towards SQ - this alone might be tens of bettas. Once you get SQ that breeds true, then you could reduce your collection and plan on a different type. Remember that every few generations you need to get new genes which may destroy your line. You need to work with other breeders whose line is compatible/supports yours .
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #12 
Amphibianite

Thank you for the advice Indjo. I am personally well aware of the need to cross in new genetic lines every few generations. May not currently be able to keep a couple hundred bettas, but I can certainly house at least double what I currently have.
Heating as it is, I use ambiant room heat and a space heater to warm my tanks. Which is working beautifully. Keeps all of them from mid 70s to low 80s. I am very happy with the current method. Of course when I get the split tanks I shall be investing in true aquarium heaters and more filters. I prefer submerged airline based filters for the bettas. Does the job and keeps water flow to nearly nothing.
I am looking at this as a full time thing or as much as possible.

I plan on keeping 2-4 pair from each spawn to allow myself a genetic group to work from for my breeding goals.

Long term I have ideas I wish to pursue. Which I will post in a few minutes as I have some things to do now.

Last edited by Amphibianite; 03-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I know what it's like - bettas are very addictive. I want this and that and eventually end up over my head. And for some reason, the ones I want badly are the ones that turn out to be bad breeders. More work (artificial hatching) and stress..... when I don't see fry.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #14 
Amphibianite

Yes they are. I started with one and am up to 18 at this point. Not counting all the potential fry at this point.
Yep I am the same way. I go oh and your pretty and you look great and oh I love his colors. Then my breeder eye kicks in and I see he has bad fins, he has some else wrong, I have no one to breed him with, etc.
Oh stress and joy the two main emotions our babies bring to us.

So I as I said I have some plans for future breeding.

1 - HMPK Dragon, colors primary green at this point, working on removing all traces of red if possible.

2 - HM blue marble line. eventually possible bringing in mustard gas for the fins.

3 - Mustard gas Half Sun line possible dragon. I know some places may look down on this cross, but I know many who would love to have these.

4 - Nonred Double Tail VT line

5 - Looking at doing a giant VT line (eventually someday down the line) Possible SuperRed, or Full Purple mask.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #15 
Curlyfatbottom

Finding a quality hm female is hard everywhere.
Haven't even seen one of ab yet.
Truly Ive haven't seen one for sale.
Always find to small of a dorse or anal fin to long with a 180 spread.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Try to get pointy edged caudal for HM and HMPK females. They don't have to be perfect HM (180* spread) as long as they have a minimum of 4 rays (super deltas will work). F1 will mostly be super delta (unless you're really lucky) but you will get one or two "pioneer" females to further breed to get your HM's (preferably a 8 ray). You should get more HM in F2 and "fixed" HM genes in F3-4. Then you can use super delta males (pointy edges).

When fixing the dorsal, your best shot would be DT. Use the ones (preferably) that stand up right. Hopefully they will produce dorsals and anals with more ray/branching thus make them lean forward.

Not sure how to improve half suns/VT.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #17 
Amphibianite

It is indeed hard to find excellent quality bettas most places except online.

I love the knowledge I am gaining here about form. It is such great experiences.