Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Hydor Theo Submersible

I'd love your thoughts and reviews on personal experience with Hydor. I'm am debating on returning/exchanging for a better heater for Spike. There are just too many bad reviews with them. But it seems like most of the negative reviews are for the higher wattage.

How long have you had your heater?
dislikes?
likes?
any other comments?

Thanks everyone :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #2 
freemike

Like you I just got mine from what I gather is that the higher wattage get stuck in the on position. The problem is that hydor while making heaters with great features is that they use a poor switch on them. This switch can with stand the heat of the smaller 50-100w version. The problem is when you get 150w+. Those suckers get hot on the internals due to the current they pull and temps they hit internally. So with the higher watts they tend to fuse the switch in the on position.

You see this across the board though in higher wattage submersible heaters. Most people will recommend a submersible heater when dealing with those watts like we recommend those bowl pads or preset heaters for our Bettas. When dealing with those watts a heater with an external thermostat controller is recommended as the safest set up.

My thing though is every heater will fail. I wish they would make an emergency kill switch for them.

Last edited by freemike; 03-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #3 
FishyFishy89

I agree on the emergency switch. Like maybe have it auto crash and turn off at max temp 85F. I don't even I know of any fish that live in higher temps.

Maybe I can put several small heaters in my 75 gallon xD
Old 03-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #4 
freemike

On a side note I'm using these on my fishless cycling 10 gallon tanks. I've had them set up for 12 hours and they are holding the temp at 86*. I'm going to run them like this on the tanks for at least another 2 weeks. So that should be a good quality test lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

would anyone else like to put forth their 2 cents on this heater?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 
bananafish

I just got mine into Wraith's tank yesterday, so this is a very early review. It is heating up his tank slowly and it's a nice, small, compact size, which I like.

My only complaint is that the setting control dial seems to be completely uncalibrated. I set it to 81 yesterday and it only warmed my tank to a very steady 76. I reset it this morning to 85, and we're at a very steady 78, according to my thermometer. I searched the web last night and found many others with the same problem, so take that for what it's worth.

Either way, it's a big upgrade over what Wraith had before, so I'll take it. And now that I know its temp control is, uh, quirky, I'll know to keep a close eye on that too.
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 
LionCalie

The problem I've encountered with Hydor Theo heaters is the thermostat never works properly. What you set the temperature to is never what it actually heats the water to.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Mine seems to be set on 80-81 and keeps the tank at a steady 81-82
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
freemike

The themostats are calibrated in different environments than home tanks. That is where the variation comes into play. That is the reason some heater knobs are labeled 1-10. The degrees should be used as a general hint to where to start at on the knob.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
The themostats are calibrated in different environments than home tanks. That is where the variation comes into play. That is the reason some heater knobs are labeled 1-10. The degrees should be used as a general hint to where to start at on the knob.
understandable
but when it is more than 5 degrees off...theres an issue