Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #21 
bettalover2033

Yes, that is the exact article that I re-read today.

In fact, the only reason I made my choice to try this method was because I was too lazy to take the male out 3 days ago. Then I thought that I would like to try this method anyway since I have been wanting to do so for so long.

About your male not eating, I think this has to do with age because one time I left my male in the tank with the fry for 4-5 days because I forgot to take him out and he didn't eat either...he was 9-10 months old then later down the spawns, I had a 4.5 month old male that ate a lot when he was in the tank. They say not to feed them while in the tank, but I do anyway. I don't feed my males while they are spawning or are chasing the female, only when they are usually working on the bubble nest and flaring at the female in the glass.

As for my male currently......He eats like a beast. Wow that is definitely the name used as "cool" out here, but I was meaning more of the monster kind of beast.

I just fed him and he ate 6 pellets, and 3-5 freeze dried bloodworms. WITH NO BLOATING WHATSOEVER
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

when your male moves his ventral fins rapidly but not swimming anywhere - he is most likely calling his bunch of fry to feed them. Sometimes they suck up fry in the process, sometimes they don't. Just don't get worried and think that he's eating fry. Keep a close eye on him, he will eventually spit out fry that entered his mouth. ...... This perhaps is why fry will gather if you move/vibrate a small stick in the water.

These kind of males are rare (IME). Most will just leave fry to fend for themselves. But these great daddies do exist and will feed fry even when they're 5mm. I agree, age effects the male's behavior. Older males tend to be better daddies (not all).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #23 
tpocicat

I left my male in once to see if it would work for me. I took him out when I caught him eating his fry, not just culling deformed fry. I watched for quite awhile and he never put them in the nest.
I know it works for some, and I hope you have the best of luck with yours.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #24 
bettalover2033

Thank you so much for the information indjo.

I have noticed him making small ripples in the tank and the fry would turn toward him, but I have yet to see if they gather. This male is so different from the rest of the spawns that Ive had and he seems to be an amazing father.

I won't get worried. Even if his belly is enlarged. It is an experiment and I don't really care much for a gigantic spawn either.

I am really interested in seeing if the fry do gather when vibrating the stick. Is this something the father does in the wild as well? IMO, I would think that leaving the father with the fry is fine because he does most of the culling and really helps the stronger and healthier fry to survive. Though surprisingly, he is STILL adding to his bubble nest and gathering the late hatchers to help them into the nest after gathering the free swimmers and releasing them again. As soon as they are released from his mouth again they all just zoom out and spread all over into the plants.

Anyway, IMO/E younger males tend to be the egg eaters the most, but I have also found that younger males tend to make a larger nest and usually it is thicker as the older male's nests usually wider and about two layers or so.

I'm really mostly am trying this for experimental reasons as I said before. My male actually doesn't just leave the fry to fend for themselves. I almost forgot how small they really are.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #25 
MrVampire181

How many do you have? When I had super reds they were very good dads. Could be a genetic thing?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

So far I have counted up to 27 and that isn't including the ones that hide in the water sprite...

I'm looking to get a bunch of java moss, but when Ive got some money, there is never any available. We all know how that works. I already have enough water sprite and a bunch of them are growing like crazy, but I hear java moss grows even faster.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

I don't see how plants help them grow. Just big water changes and lots of food.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #28 
BeautifulBetta

I think he meant java moss grows faster than water sprite :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #29 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I don't see how plants help them grow. Just big water changes and lots of food.
LOL no. I was meaning the have moss grows faster and fuller than other AQ. Plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta View Post
I think he meant java moss grows faster than water sprite :)
haha, thank you BB!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #30 
bettalover2033

Update 3/6/12:

The fry are now one week old today.

Here is a very blurry video in the tank. You can see the fry swim upward.

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...filter=noflash