Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #11 
FishyFishy89

How does my Spike look as a crowntail?
I know you can't really see his scales, but I'd be curious to know if he has any faults or if he is really perfection.
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22791
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22788
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22790
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22789
And maybe a video would help as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqbRKrOofs
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

He is nice as far as double rays go. But maybe someone who has studied the CT form more can tell you. I just glanced over it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #13 
tpocicat

He looks really nice to me, but I'm not an expert.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #14 
MoonShadow

OP I think you need to ask yourself what your overall breeding goal is. Are you looking to show? Are you trying to improve something in the crowntail itself (such as a improving some part of the form, or getting a difficult color to breed true) I feel that before anyone breeds they should have a goal in mind, why do you want to breed these fish? And your answer should help you decide which way to go. If you want to show in the future, breeding for form would be more important then color. If you want to work with a specific color and help improve that aspect of the crowntail as a whole then color choice would be more important then form.

Just remember if you're working with petstore bettas, they have unknown genetics, and the color you pick out in the store may not show up in the offspring at all because there's no way to know what the genetic structure of the fish is
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #15 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
@styggian: finding that perfect betta may too long. Your female might be old by the time you find him..... just keep that in mind. Sometimes you have to start with what is available and slowly work yourself through. But start with compatible colors - color combination that may produce amazing patterns. Eg. Don't start with a red x irid color because all you'll get is a multi of irid and red.... (check out the color genetic)

Can you post a picture of your female - side view of her flaring.

@Myates: for someone who's not picky on fins, you sure have a gorgeous CT - fairly balanced super delta (I think), dorsal and anal up right. Pair him to a nicely formed female (same overall balance at least) and you have potential winners.
Indjo, here you go.

Her name is Aurora, and she has a LOT of iridescence, her body stays pale, but her fins flash a bit green/turquoise.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #16 
styggian

I'm going to get some pics of her sister as well. These two girls are amazingly beautiful.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #17 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
OP I think you need to ask yourself what your overall breeding goal is. Are you looking to show? Are you trying to improve something in the crowntail itself (such as a improving some part of the form, or getting a difficult color to breed true) I feel that before anyone breeds they should have a goal in mind, why do you want to breed these fish? And your answer should help you decide which way to go. If you want to show in the future, breeding for form would be more important then color. If you want to work with a specific color and help improve that aspect of the crowntail as a whole then color choice would be more important then form.

Just remember if you're working with petstore bettas, they have unknown genetics, and the color you pick out in the store may not show up in the offspring at all because there's no way to know what the genetic structure of the fish is
I've also thought about what goals I'd want to pursue. I'm interested in the marble pattern for plakats and possibly crowns, and in halfmoons and trying to improve a strain with even finnage, working toward the "fullmoon" type, with mustard gas coloring (though mustard gas is a preference, the main goal is even finnage and symmetry). I'm aware that it takes a lot of work and investment. I want to do it for the enjoyment on my own part, and to try improving a fish that I absolutely love.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #18 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
I'm going to get some pics of her sister as well. These two girls are amazingly beautiful.
Opal, Aurora's sister.

She wouldn't stop moving until I had my camera pointed away, then would dart when I tried getting a pic, so they're not full on side profiles.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89

those are big bellies!!! :)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #20 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
those are big bellies!!! :)
Lol I think they're eggy. They look like that the day after fasting, too.