Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #1 
BettaLover223

Fish issues

Last night, I was about to fall asleep when i heard rocks jostling. Knowing this was Zora (my current betta), I turned on my lamp and saw that he got himself caught on a plant that i had in his tank. I pulled it out and it looked like he was dead but on closer inspection he was still breathing. One thing, why does he have random spazz attacks at night? Also, when he acted dead, was he just stunned?
BettaLover223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

When you say "at night" do you mean shortly after you turn off the light?

If you turn off his light and plunge him into complete darkness, he will freak out. This is because fish don't have an adjustable pupil or eyelid like our eyes. They need to gradually adjust to both darkness and light by allowing the rods and cones to move in adjustment to the light. Scientific studies have shown this takes about an hour. Try leaving the room light on for a while after you turn out his light to let his eyes get used to lower light (basically creating an artificial twilight).

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 02-28-2012 at 11:54 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
When you say "at night" do you mean shortly after you turn off the light?

If you turn off his light and plunge him into complete darkness, he will freak out. This is because fish don't have an adjustable pupil or eyelid like our eyes. They need to gradually adjust to both darkness and light by allowing the rods and cones to move in adjustment to the light. Scientific studies have shown this takes about an hour. Try leaving the room light on for a while after you turn out his light to let his eyes get used to lower light (basically creating an artificial twilight).
he doesn't have a light
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 
popcornprincess

than turn on your lamp at night and then turn it off after about an hour, but makesure he still has a nightlight.
popcornprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornprincess View Post
than turn on your lamp at night and then turn it off after about an hour, but makesure he still has a nightlight.
Actually fish need a period of complete darkness to replicate their natural circadian rhythm. It's something that has evolved over many millennia, and is biologically programmed into his brain.

Your fish doesn't need a night light. Just try not to have as many things in the aquarium that he can get stuck in.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornprincess View Post
thanks but I am not going to use a nightlight on him and keep myself up
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Actually fish need a period of complete darkness to replicate their natural circadian rhythm. It's something that has evolved over many millennia, and is biologically programmed into his brain.

Your fish doesn't need a night light. Just try not to have as many things in the aquarium that he can get stuck in.
I got two plants in there I'm thinking about taking one of them out
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Are they live plants or plastic? I've heard some nasty stories about plastic plants cutting up fins.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Are they live plants or plastic? I've heard some nasty stories about plastic plants cutting up fins.
All i can afford is plastic and he is fine with them. In fact he loves them he hates it when I take them out occasionally