Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
chrissylee13

Angry so here's to another walmart rant...

so, i was at walmart today, and instinctively i went to the fish section like i usually do. well, for the most part the walmart in my area has been keeping up with tank cleaning, removing dead fish, and having healthy fish since petsmart opened. since i work at petsmart i like to check up on walmart. well, in doing so today i found the WORST i've ever seen it and probably the worst i've ever seen bettas being kept... so i decided to take some pictures.

in the first photo is obviously our beloved bettas.. these were all male VTs. there was a pineapple, a mustard gas, and the others were some really beautiful colors. as you can see, they each barely have an inch of water... and the water is horribly dirty, some with a yellow tint. still no holes in the top of the cups either..

the second photo is of freshwater puffer fish. they were really cute... until i realized they were all covered in what looked to be fungus... and seemed to be suffering from some strange thing where their spines were causing them to bend and have trouble swimming. or do they normally look like that? i'm not too familiar with puffer fish yet.

i left walmart feeling so horrible. i really felt as if i might cry because i felt so awful for them. it's such a shame that something so simple as changing the water and providing ENOUGH water until they find a home is so hard for people. and those poor puffer fish.. *cries*
Attached Images

chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 
Leeniex

You should call the store or at least email them to let them know how you feel. :( Which walmart was it?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 
chrissylee13

oh, don't worry, i'm on it. and it's located in lakewood, new york. i was just so angry. before i even went over to look at the bettas my fiance was like "oh no, you're going to be mad.."
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #4 
Thebettaqueen

Hm. This walmart isn't too fair from my location. Which is Smithtown, unless it's the walmart near that one pet store..which I love cX Ugh. This is horrible. I thought all the walmarts stopped handling live fish?
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #5 
chrissylee13

bettaqueen are you in new york city area? because i'm in chautauqua county new york. like... near buffalo, ny. lol.

but i wish they did stop handling/selling fish.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Wow! That is bad!
My walmart was doing a great job for a while. Then I think someone new came in cause the fish aren't looking so great anymore. Why must they always get new people in when the old ones were doing such a great job?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 
Thebettaqueen

Naw. Long island xD I think we have a Jamestown near by though, and a lakewood, but I'm not possitive on that one.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 
bettasusa

Wow!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Poor Fish. I have 2 walmarts within 5 miles of each other. Both have fish. The ones in the tanks look OK but the bettas... poor things
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 
makoisland

Our WalMart stopped having fish tanks full of fish several years ago, but they still do have the bettas in cups. And they NEVER have enough water in there for them. Of course, even if the cup was full it would still be too little water for the fish to be comfortable in, but some of them are less than half full. They have holes in the tops, at least.
Still. It's gross and unfair to the poor little fish.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote