Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 
styggian

Thumbs up Halfmoon plakat rescue

So, I stop by petco and petsmart several times a week, just to look at fish. I happily admit that I have a betta obsession

So, as I'm looking around, I find this little guy listing a bit in his cup, and on closer inspection, I see that he has a bit of rot or bacterial infection. I debate with myself, then hunt down the manager and explain that he is sick and ask if they treat their fish. He says yes, they do get treated and separated from the rest. I tell him about my sorority and my males, and explain that I would be interested in rescuing and rehabbing the fish.

He says that policy states they can't do that, as they "don't sell sick fish." I say "but you wouldn't be selling him ", and we chat a little more, and he finally says "I would be willing to adopt him out to you." I thanked him profusely, told him what I'd do to rehab him (warm, clean water, a bit of salt treatment if necessary) and that if I can get him back to health, I'll bring photos. I did also purchase a crowntail I've been looking at all week (will make a thread for him).

The boy I adopted is a halfmoon plakat, and he is very pretty despite his infection. I've tested my old 10gal for leakage, and it's holding half capacity with no signs of losing water, so he will be going in there until he's well and can go into the 15gal divided with Duckie and the halfmoon.

Here's some photos. I think I can get him well without a problem, he's not far gone and may not even need anything more than simple clean, warm water. 15 dollar fishy for free

styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 
blueridge

Very pretty little guy and I hope he gets better! He's in much better hands than staying at the pet store.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
styggian

He's in warm, clean water, it's only a few inches so he doesn't have to swim far to reach air. I dropped in a couple of anubias for him to rest in if he wants. He's still listing, though :/ He's fighting to stay upright. I think I'll go cup him so he can rest more easily. I really do hope he pulls through, but I'm really worried for him.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That pet store manager actually sounded somewhat caring.
I'm sure he'll be lovely :D I can see him becoming a darker blue.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
bananafish

Good luck with him. He's very pretty!
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #6 
styggian

I'm sad to say that he did not make it. I just checked on him and he'd passed away. I'm sorry little guy, I tried ::(

I feel terrible, but at least he had a chance. I really wish I could have helped him.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

aww im sorry
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

I'm so sorry that you lost him! How sad! But at least he was warm, happy, and cared for in the end...
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote