Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 
johnny151

Unhappy I think petsmart lied, please help me with my Betta. I'm worried for him

Hello, I' new to the forums =) I just wish I found this site earlier. I'm in dire need of help!

I went to petsmart because I decided I wanted a pet but not one that took up to much space. I decided to get a Betta. They had a great sale on a 10 gallon tank with everything included so I was ready to purchase A nice size tank for him.
As I was about to purchase the tank, the fish associate asked me if I needed help. I said no, that I was setting up a tank for a Betta fish and that I know I have to wait at least 6 weeks for cycle to be complete for him. She looked at me like I'm crazy and said I'm wasting money on a 10 gallon kit. She also explained that waiting for the cycle system was unnecessary for a Betta fish. All I have to do is wait 24 hours and then I can put him in his new home. She said that Bettas like small environments which is why they re put in bowls small tanks etc. I told her I don't like the idea of any animal leaving in a small space especially A CUP! She gave me a whole speech on Bettas soon after. She recommended sizes 1-5 gallons. Listening to her advice as she seemed very adamant about her own information. I went with a 1 gallon start up kit. She explained that by putting him in a 10 gallon it would severely stress him because he wouldn't know what to do with so much space. So also said I have to feed him once every other day.

Now heres my concern, I was browsing last night online on some Betta photos and photos of other Betta tanks for design ideas I came across this forum. I read about 2 posts that explained the complete opposite of what that associate told me. I'm really worried for him. I have him now in the plastic cup they had him in. And the one gallon was only going for 24 hours. I'm worried that if I put him in the 1 gallon without a full cycle hes going to die from stress or illness, I'm also worried that by leaving him in that nasty plastic cup hes going to get sick. The cup water is literally blue, I don't know why... maybe a chemical to keep the water clean? I don't know buts its very aggravating to see him in there. Hes a Betta with a great personality. Very active and friendly. Whenever I go near him he swims and follows me around. I don't know if hes following his reflection but he only does it when I go by him. He also comes by my finger and I can touch him. Its odd to say it about a fish, but I instantly bonded with him within a few hours of purchase.

What can I do to help him? Like I said, I'm worried that putting him in a non cycled tank he will die and I fear he will get sick in that nasty cup. Also on the cycle process, do you just leave the tank and filter running for 6 weeks? or do you have to add stuff like fish food and let it dissolve in the water to add bacteria? In regards to feeding, how much is recommended? I don't know if I should've trusted that associated. I figure they're trustworthy since well, its petsmart

Last edited by johnny151; 03-01-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spell error
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
Hello, I' new to the forums =) I just wish I found this site earlier. I'm in dire need of help!

I went to petsmart because I decided I wanted a pet but not one that took up to much space. I decided to get a Betta. They had a great sale on a 10 gallon tank with everything included so I was ready to purchase A nice size tank for him.
As I was about to purchase the tank, the fish associate asked me if I needed help. I said no, that I was setting up a tank for a Betta fish and that I know I have to wait at least 6 weeks for cycle to be complete for him. She looked at me like I'm crazy and said I'm wasting money on a 10 gallon kit. She also explained that waiting for the cycle system was unnecessary for a Betta fish. All I have to do is wait 24 hours and then I can put him in his new home. She said that Bettas like small environments which is why they re put in bowls small tanks etc. I told her I don't like the idea of any animal leaving in a small space especially A CUP! She gave me a whole speech on Bettas soon after. She recommended sizes 1-5 gallons. Listening to her advice as she seemed very adamant about her own information. I went with a 1 gallon start up kit. She explained that by putting him in a 10 gallon it would severely stress him because he wouldn't know what to do with so much space. So also said I have to feed him once every other day.

Now heres my concern, I was browsing last night online on some Betta photos and photos of other Betta tanks for design ideas I came across this forum. I read about 2 posts that explained the complete opposite of what that associate told me. I'm really worried for him. I have him now in the plastic cup they had him in. And the one gallon was only going for 24 hours. I'm worried that if I put him in the 1 gallon without a full cycle hes going to die from stress or illness, I'm also worried that by leaving him in that nasty plastic cup hes going to get sick. The cup water is literally blue, I don't know why... maybe a chemical to keep the water clean? I don't know buts its very aggravating to see him in there. Hes a Betta with a great personality. Very active and friendly. Whenever I go near him he swims and follows me around. I don't know if hes following his reflection but he only does it when I go by him. He also comes by my finger and I can touch him. Its odd to say it about a fish, but I instantly bonded with him within a few hours of purchase.

What can I do to help him? Like I said, I'm worried that putting him in a non cycled tank he will die and I fear he will get sick in that nasty cup. Also on the cycle process, do you just leave the tank and filter running for 6 weeks? or do you have to add stuff like fish food and let it dissolve in the water to add bacteria? In regards to feeding, how much is recommended? I don't know if I should've trusted that associated. I figure they're trustworthy since well, its petsmart
First off, welcome to forums! :)

It's completely unnessecary to cycle a 1g tank. Anything below 4 gallons is almost impossible. So, you should be fine.

Bettas can be kept in 1g tanks, but a more preferred tank would be 2.5g or higher.

She actually is right in some aspects. Some bettas love bigger spaces, while others freak out in larger tanks. I would go with a 2.5g to a 3g tank. It's a nice, spacious home for bettas that they will enjoy. I'd just return the 1g, unless you want to keep something smaller.

A 10g would be nice if you'd like to make it a community tank with maybe 5-6 neon tetras and the betta, or you could divide the tank up to 4 times and get more bettas! It's up to you.

If you'd like any help on how to make dividers, if that sounds interesting to you, shoot me a PM (private message) or a VM (visitor message) on my profile.

Glad to see someone who actually cares for the well being of their fish!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
Karebear13

A one gallon tank is really hard to cycle. I recommend not cycling it. Bettas can live in non cycled water as long as you do weekly water changes. So don't be stressed about that aspect.

If you want to cycle it maybe someone else can help you on here about that because I have never cycled anything before.

A one gallon will be okay for him as long as you keep the water warm enough about 78 degrees and You keep it nice and clean. Some people on here have recommended I do a 50% water change and a 100% water change weekly
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I had just written a big response to you and I pressed back by accident. . .
I'll have it in about 5 or 10 mins! lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

The blue water is from medicine they put in the water.
As the others above have stated, it is impossible to cycle a 1 Gallon, as it is too small to hold a cycle.

A betta is happy in anything larger than 1 Gallon. :) 1 Gallon isn't always recommended as it is a lot of maintenance and is hard to heat. With a 10 Gallon you only have to do a water change once a week and can be heated very safely. It also gives your betta much much more room to swim. In the 10 Gallon you can give your betta some tankmates like cory catfish and neon tetras! I'g go ahead and put him in either tank, it's really up to you! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
First off, welcome to forums! :)

It's completely unnessecary to cycle a 1g tank. Anything below 4 gallons is almost impossible. So, you should be fine.

Bettas can be kept in 1g tanks, but a more preferred tank would be 2.5g or higher.

She actually is right in some aspects. Some bettas love bigger spaces, while others freak out in larger tanks. I would go with a 2.5g to a 3g tank. It's a nice, spacious home for bettas that they will enjoy. I'd just return the 1g, unless you want to keep something smaller.

A 10g would be nice if you'd like to make it a community tank with maybe 5-6 neon tetras and the betta, or you could divide the tank up to 4 times and get more bettas! It's up to you.

If you'd like any help on how to make dividers, if that sounds interesting to you, shoot me a PM (private message) or a VM (visitor message) on my profile.

Glad to see someone who actually cares for the well being of their fish!
Thank you so much. You took a ton of worry off my shoulders. I was actually thinking of doing a 10 community tank with my Betta and about 5 tetras, or maybe even 2 3 Cory fish instead. I think that's what they're called? For now I'm going to keep him in the 1 gallon and upgrade to the 10 community. I'm just wonder though, How do I introduce him to the new water in the 1 gallon? I'm not exactly sure if I can let the cup float on the water lol... Do I put little spoonfuls of the new water in his cup? Thats something I failed to ask at the store. I don't want him to undergo shock. I'm sorry if I'm asking so much, I just want him to be happy and healthy

The 1 gallon has a very light filter, its not strong and sometimes I look to see if its even on and working lol. So with a filter, how often should I do water changes?

I eventually would like to do dividers with 2 bettas. I need to settle my one first. How do you PM on here lol. I'm still trying to figure this forum out
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
Thank you so much. You took a ton of worry off my shoulders. I was actually thinking of doing a 10 community tank with my Betta and about 5 tetras, or maybe even 2 3 Cory fish instead. I think that's what they're called? For now I'm going to keep him in the 1 gallon and upgrade to the 10 community. I'm just wonder though, How do I introduce him to the new water in the 1 gallon? I'm not exactly sure if I can let the cup float on the water lol... Do I put little spoonfuls of the new water in his cup? Thats something I failed to ask at the store. I don't want him to undergo shock. I'm sorry if I'm asking so much, I just want him to be happy and healthy

The 1 gallon has a very light filter, its not strong and sometimes I look to see if its even on and working lol. So with a filter, how often should I do water changes?

I eventually would like to do dividers with 2 bettas. I need to settle my one first. How do you PM on here lol. I'm still trying to figure this forum out

Since everyone else already answered your other questions..I'll answer your acclimating ones :)

First, float the cup in his tank for about a half hour. Then slowly had little cupfuls of his new tank water to his cup every five-ten minutes. When it's full, dump out half and repeat the process till it's full again. Then simply net him out and off he goes! :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #8 
johnny151

Thank you all for you help and advice.

As far as heating is concerned. My room is always at 80 degrees. Where I live its winter right now so my house is always heated. I have a thermometer for him and its at exactly 80 degrees. When the summer comes in my room also gets very hot so I felt like I didn't need a heater. So hes good in that area. As far as feeding is it correct to feed once every other day?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
Since everyone else already answered your other questions..I'll answer your acclimating ones :)

First, float the cup in his tank for about a half hour. Then slowly had little cupfuls of his new tank water to his cup every five-ten minutes. When it's full, dump out half and repeat the process till it's full again. Then simply net him out and off he goes! :)
Thank you guys for everything
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I would suggest a heater regardless (even more so if you upgrade to a community). If there is a fluctuation in the temperature of the room, it will have an effect on the tank, which a heater will compensate for. Keeping a stable temperature is just as important as keeping a warm one, as fluctuating temperatures = stress, and stress = a sick fish.

Like almost everything else the petshop lady told you, she's wrong about feeding. Feed every day - multiple small meals being better than one big one. I would feed twice a day, roughly 3 pellets, depending on their size and the size of your fish. Bloodworms twice a week make a nice treat. You can also fast him one day a week if you like. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote