Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 
krsname21

increasing aggression

Ok, so I've googled, binged, yahooed.... Here's my question. I am a new (1.5 months) betty dad of two beautiful and very happy and active betta (male and female, share a tank but with a divider... they hate the divider because apparently they are in love xDD, contrary to everything I read, I put them in the same side for about 10 min or so and they went crazy for each other, swimming around each other, flaring and flirting, no mean or hurtful behavior at all, just amazingly loving towards each other, anyway, just bragging) however, I'm wondering about their new heightened aggression. They aren't being aggressive towards one another, but they are zipping around their tanks, fully flared, nipping at the water surface, zipping more, flaring more.. I think they might be a little stressed as I changed some of the decorations in their tanks because the old ones were too rough and I didn't want them hurting their fins or themselves. So, are they just kind of momentarily freaking out and reasserting their territory, or could this be indicative of something else? I've tested the water, everything is normal, their diet hasn't changed (even though they seem to think they are always hungry, they are on a strict diet...).. Anyway, if anyone has any similar stories or insight, it is much appreciated!!!
krsname21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

might have been the changes you made, my delta tail the one in my avatar does that every time i add anything new, even the sand i just added to his tank you see the pic he is flaring at it, he calmed down eventually.

not sure if put that male and female together is such a good idea, might be a betta grandad by accident lol
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #3 
JBosley

I would separate them again. They will probably calm down! You shouldn't put a male and female together unless you are going to breed, which takes TONS of planning and supplies.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Love is a complex emotion that is not experienced by fish. What you saw was simply breeding behaviour. Males and females shouldn't be put together unless you plan to breed. And even then, it can and has killed bettas in the past. Just ask in the breeding subform.

As to the increased activity, that probably comes from changing around their environment. I have boys that do not stop moving until they have inspected every inch of the tank when I move or introduce something like a plant or snail. If you think being in constant sight of each other is stressing them out, you could try putting some plants along the divider.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
Myates

A mix of being in the same tank with the opposite sex (females tend to be just as aggressive as males and can kill them if not ready to mate).. and the changing of decor. Their senses are heightened from being thisclose to either mating or killing one another.. and now their home has just changed it's looks, so they are thrown off.
I highly suggest not going against contrary, and keep them safe and separated :)

I would keep their tank dim for a few hours until they relax and settle down.. make sure there is at least 3 inches between divider top and water surface.
What size tank are they in?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 
scootshoot

Male Female in same location without dividers is not recommended but there are always exceptions. Really comes down to luck and personalities.

One of my sorority Juve's is actually a male that was mismarked female. While I have a spare tank ready for him, have decided to keep him in with the flock (lucky guy) as his aggression level has been minimal at best. He basically patrols a corner of the tank where my first initial food drop used to be, anyone that comes around there is chased off. Have spread the food out more since but that little corner is his territory.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #7 
krsname21

woh.. calm down people and read my post please. thank you for all your input, but every single one of you jumped to conclusions and chastised me without reading. If you look at my post i said i placed them in the same side for 10 min. i wanted to see how they reacted. yes people, i know fish don't experience love (i'm just gooshy so deal) but i was glad they showed an affinity towards one another. this makes me comfortable because eventually i want to move them to a 10g or larger tank and introduce other fish (the male will be divided and solitary (AS HE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN..), so before you haul off and start telling me don't put anything in with the male, i know males will pretty much kill other fish in their territory). i know they would eventually try to kill each other without enough room in which to live (like a 50g tank...) so i may be new to the betta, i am not new to common sense.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #8 
krsname21

and as to what size tank they are in? they currently live in a 5g tank. BEFORE YOU START THROWING MORE STONES WHICH IS APPARENTLY WHAT YOU GUYS DO TO ONE ANOTHER), they are being moved to a 10g in 2 weeks. i will be able to get the last bits necessary to set it up next week, then i'm going to cycle it for a week, then move them.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsname21 View Post
woh.. calm down people and read my post please. thank you for all your input, but every single one of you jumped to conclusions and chastised me without reading. If you look at my post i said i placed them in the same side for 10 min. i wanted to see how they reacted. yes people, i know fish don't experience love (i'm just gooshy so deal) but i was glad they showed an affinity towards one another. this makes me comfortable because eventually i want to move them to a 10g or larger tank and introduce other fish (the male will be divided and solitary (AS HE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN..), so before you haul off and start telling me don't put anything in with the male, i know males will pretty much kill other fish in their territory). i know they would eventually try to kill each other without enough room in which to live (like a 50g tank...) so i may be new to the betta, i am not new to common sense.
I'm sorry you feel as if we are yelling at you.. we are aware that they were only put together for 10 minutes. We are telling you that one could kill the other in less time then that and it's not recommended to place them together for any length of time unless they are at the point for breeding readiness. You will have people tell you the same thing.. it's not us yelling, it's us worried and wondering why.
A male can live peacefully with other peaceful fish in a tank without killing other fish for being in their territory. It's quite opposite actually. Many people here have community tanks with a single male in them with no issues. It depends on the individual male.
What we will disagree on is dividing a 10 gallon in half and adding other tropical fish in each half along with the betta... most of the "safe fish" that can be with a betta require schools of 6+, which you would not want to place in a divided tank that small.. the fish will then feel trapped and become stressed, aggressive (even tetras and platies, etc). Best would be to make the 10 gallon for either of the betta and set it as a community with a few other fish, and the 5 gallon with the other betta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsname21 View Post
and as to what size tank they are in? they currently live in a 5g tank. BEFORE YOU START THROWING MORE STONES WHICH IS APPARENTLY WHAT YOU GUYS DO TO ONE ANOTHER), they are being moved to a 10g in 2 weeks. i will be able to get the last bits necessary to set it up next week, then i'm going to cycle it for a week, then move them.
No one is throwing stones.. it's a simple question. A divided 5 gallon is just fine as long as the appropriate water changes are being made.
Cycling for a week won't do anything- as it easily takes 4-6+ weeks to establish a cycle. Adding in the fish a week into the cycle will cause it to crash and spike and possibly kill the fish.. would recommend either doing fishless cycle, or fish-in, but be aware a fish-in cycle is dangerous and very stressful to any fish.

I want to say that no one here was throwing stones at you.. in fact, people were pretty nice about their questioning your actions. You have been very rude and mean in your responses... which was uncalled for. No one has been rude to you, in fact they were being helpful and trying to help. It was just a fact and a warning that was stated towards you because of your actions that put those fish in jeopardy. Please refrain from yelling at members who were only trying to help. They didn't make you do what you did..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 
krsname21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I'm sorry you feel as if we are yelling at you.. we are aware that they were only put together for 10 minutes. We are telling you that one could kill the other in less time then that and it's not recommended to place them together for any length of time unless they are at the point for breeding readiness. You will have people tell you the same thing.. it's not us yelling, it's us worried and wondering why.
A male can live peacefully with other peaceful fish in a tank without killing other fish for being in their territory. It's quite opposite actually. Many people here have community tanks with a single male in them with no issues. It depends on the individual male.
What we will disagree on is dividing a 10 gallon in half and adding other tropical fish in each half along with the betta... most of the "safe fish" that can be with a betta require schools of 6+, which you would not want to place in a divided tank that small.. the fish will then feel trapped and become stressed, aggressive (even tetras and platies, etc). Best would be to make the 10 gallon for either of the betta and set it as a community with a few other fish, and the 5 gallon with the other betta.

No one is throwing stones.. it's a simple question. A divided 5 gallon is just fine as long as the appropriate water changes are being made.
Cycling for a week won't do anything- as it easily takes 4-6+ weeks to establish a cycle. Adding in the fish a week into the cycle will cause it to crash and spike and possibly kill the fish.. would recommend either doing fishless cycle, or fish-in, but be aware a fish-in cycle is dangerous and very stressful to any fish.

I want to say that no one here was throwing stones at you.. in fact, people were pretty nice about their questioning your actions. You have been very rude and mean in your responses... which was uncalled for. No one has been rude to you, in fact they were being helpful and trying to help. It was just a fact and a warning that was stated towards you because of your actions that put those fish in jeopardy. Please refrain from yelling at members who were only trying to help. They didn't make you do what you did..

Wow... I'm am utterly disgusted at you. I have never been so offended or disgusted by the inability of people to have simple reading comprehension, and evenso, your lack thereof has caused you to be even more offended, and you obvious care for the fish has clouded your ability to rationalize. This is ridiculous. thank you for what input you provided, yes you all threw stones, yes you all jumped to conclusions. yes you are all wrong. i'm closing my account because i see you are all not worth my effort.